From:
"Tara C. Radford" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 19:17:48 -0700
Hello ;-)

Our Muffin was recently diagnosed with a severe case of IBD on biopsy.(Dr
Williams)

Her poop was birdseed like, however our other 8 ferrets have had regular
diarrhea daily,as well.  We just figured that because their gravy is
somewhat watery that was normal They are all very robust ferrets.  I
had been feeding them my version of Churches chicken gravy (entire
chicken,bones & broth simmered for 4 hrs & pureed) mixed with Gerbers
chicken every morning for breakfast plus chicken based premium ferret
kibbles available all the time.Needing to switch Muffy to another food
source we chose turkey as the first type.We will be introducing duck and
others very slowly.

ProPlan makes a turkey & Barley kibble,crappy food (imho) but the only
one we could find and we are supplementing it.We decided to also change
our gravy & Gerbers to turkey..I bought turkey hind quarters & breast.
Hard to change the diet of one semi/free roam ferret & not the others.So
everyone "went turkey"

To our shere amazement,within one day,all poops were normal.Beautiful lil
poopies,btw!!  he diarrhea had been going on for almost a year...now two
weeks into this we probably have the prettiest poopies in town;)  I truly
think someone should explore this link of possible chicken "allergies"
and develop a few premium "turkey based" ferret kibbles.  We had not
expected this so I tried chicken the next week just to see,sure
enough,yucky yucky diarrhea!

I'd love Dr Tom Willard or any ferret food manufacturer to address why
they always use chicken.I have heard Innova makes a turkey based kibble
as well, but i have yet to find it.ProPlan is a poor excuse (imho) for
food but my ferrets are all looking great and their poopies prove
something!!  I'm hoping the turkey gravy with things like Taurene, Nupro,
ProBois & Pet Tinic will improve what is missing in the kibble.I know it
is very hard to balance everything.

If your ferret has frequent diarrhea,try switching.I think you will
be pleasantly surprised!!  Just the fact that our 9 ferrets improved
drastically, showed us something!

Best Wishes,
Tara  .. proud mommy to 9 perfect poopie kids;-) a bunch of "real
turkeys;-)

Join our Ferret Group!! Club Med Ferrets
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clubmedferrets
NEW! Go shopping with CMF, proceeds go to Shelters!
http://www.geocities.com/clubmedferrets