From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 1995 08:29:42 -0500
To Ferret Paws:

I'm not sure (my own opinion) that a muzzle is the way to go.  We have the
same problem in NY - even if your ferret is vaccinated yearly for rabies,
the health dept will STILL take your ferret and have it tested for rabies -
IF REPORTED.

My feeling is, that if a ferret is rabies-vaccinated yearly and you can
prove it, then the bitten person will be less likely to report you.

Our club does quite a few displays over the year (pet stores, malls,
County Fair) and quite frankly, I never bring my own ferrets.  I am too
afraid of something happening - and they aren't biters either, but
anything can happen at any given time.

I think by using a muzzle this only inforces negative ideas to the general
public who don't know any better.  If we all start using muzzles at
displays, then aren't we sending a message that ferrets are biters and
can't be trusted?  JQ public might not realize or accept the concept that
we are trying to protect our fuzzies from the State and might think
that we are trying to protect the public from the ferrets!

Just a different outlook on the matter.......

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA