From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 08:19:50 -0400
>Ferret's are illegal in CA 'cause, as we all know, they are vicious
>creatures that attack little babies, pillage chicken farms, and contribute
>to the state deficite <sarc>.

And don't forget that there is apparently a problem in CA with roving bands
of feral ferrets which take down full size cows!

On feeding goldfish to ferrets:
>Why shouldn't one be 'flamed' for such a horrible practice?  (and yes,
>that's a serious question asking for an explanation).

The main reason I'd offer is that a gentle reminder that fish are also
living creatures that can feel pain can get the point across without any
unpleasantries.  I'm not a purist when it comes to killing animals.  In
general I think if you are going to kill something, kill it, don't torture
it to death.  I won't kill a mosquito by pulling it apart slowly, but don't
think for a second I'm above killing them.

Letting pet ferrets kill their own food can certainly be argued both ways.
(I realize in the example given the ferrets did not actually consume the
fish, but I believe the fish were provided at least in part for that
purpose.) If I want to provide my ferrets with a 'natural' diet that
includes some small fish or insects, I could try to be humane to the
food-to-be and kill it up front.  The down side of that is it may make it
less likely that it will actually get eaten.

I didn't have any luck getting mine to eat a baby mouse I bought (already
dead and frozen) from a pet store.  I suspect (haven't tried, but may yet)
that a live mouse might be a more tempting meal for my two.

>Anyway, would a ferret hunt a mouse too like a cat?

Hunting instincts seem to vary somewhat with ferrets.  Some don't seem
interested, and others have VERY strong instincts.  I have fed mine cicadas,
mine will chase, kill and eat them.  I think the movement and noise helps
stimulate the chase.

>If so, is it harmful if the ferret ended up eating the mouse?

It's definately harmful for the mouse.  <G> With wild mice you might have an
issue with parisites or (less likely) disease.  I don't think there are too
many disease mice harbor that will transmit to ferrets.  Store bought mice
are probably "safe" as food.

-Ilena Ayala=