From:
Sonya Grable <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:33:35 GMT
Hi All,

I know there have been several posts regarding kidney disease and renal
failure lately, but what I need to know is what, if anything, can be done
to change it?  I'm willing to consider any ideas, options, or opinions
regarding this matter.

Girlie's creatinine level has continually increased over a three month
period.  It was slightly elevated at 1.0 in August; .90 (highest normal) in
September; October 21st it was 1.5; and as of yesterday, it is 2.42.  BUN
is currently in the high range of normal though.  ALKP, Globulin, and
Chloride are high.  Sodium is also in the high range of normal.  Since
March, her BUN has always been on the high end of normal (30-33).

As a result of the reading in October another urinalysis was performed,
which came back normal.  Today two urine samples, several hours apart, were
visibly dilute in color, and have been analyzed.  I don't have the results
yet, but will try again tomorrow.  I believe elevated phosphorous, low
urine specific gravity, and a small amount of sediment were mentioned to
another vet, or a tech, however.  A sample has also been sent for culture.
It'll probably be Tuesday before I hear anything back on that.

So far we haven't treated it as an infection because nothing has been
suggestive of one.  Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and ask for
an antibiotic 'just in case'.  I don't want to keep waiting until more
damage (if any), possibly irreversible, is done.  Lab error had been a
consideration until this latest creatinine level.

I did a pinch test this morning and her scruff didn't 'spring' back like it
should so I brought her with, and asked that she be given Sub-q fluids when
I took the urine samples in.  She freaked out and he was only able to get
10ccs into her.  She has become more lethargic, has less of an appetite,
and really doesn't want to drink much at all.  I've dropped Pedialyte for
fear that something in it could be affecting this.  I went and got every
flavor of Jello I could find to make 'jello water' with, I've tried almost
every flavor of baby juice (except apple because it gives me a stomach ache
and I don't want to risk her getting one), and even fat-free, low sodium
chicken broth.  She simply is not interested!  She doesn't like Gatorade.
Besides, it's an electrolytic product like Pedialyte (right?).  Girlie digs
furiously at carpet and bites her cage bars (while in it) when her stomach
is upset or is bothering her, and has been doing so off and on for a couple
of days now.  I changed her food about a month and a half ago to
adult/maintenance cat food for the benefit of less protein.  She does not
like TF for older, less active ferrets, or Hill's k/d.

What else can, or should I be doing?  Another ultrasound?  The first one
was done in May/April and looked ok.  I'm considering taking her to the
hospital Saturday or Sunday for more Sub-Q fluids.  If I'm overreacting,
then GREAT!  If not, I want to do everything absolutely possible to keep
and maintain the level of functioning she has left.  She's only about
fourteen months old :( A pet store rescue who was a 'biter'.  She's
turned into a very special, loving, sweet, and friendly little girl.  She
is also deaf.

Any thoughts, ideas, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sonya