From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:13:07 -0400
Dear Rebecca - I was so sorry to read in today's fml of the travails you
have been going through with poor Jitterbug - but what a relief it was to
learn that the tumor removed was not a lympho-sarcoma.

I don't know what to say about the conduct of the vet - perhaps the vets on
line here will have some input - but I do know that when a patient (or
parent of a patient) is extremely stressed, it is not a good time to be
berated by your vet doctor!  I don't know - perhaps he was having a bad day?
But no reason to take it out on you - or perhaps he is slightly
over-sensitive and what you said was taken the wrong way in the extreme.
But what happened is really bad -- because you were in a place where you
were dependent upon him for the well-being of Jitterbug.  I am not defending
his actions - but veterinarians do get a lot of flack on occasion and
sometimes blamed for losses of pets which are beyond their control.  Maybe
this doctor was reacting out of something else that did not come from you --
but still - no excuse.  He is a professional and should behave in a
professional manner.

Ferrets do not hypernate.  In fact, their high metabolic rate makes it
necessary for them to eat and drink every 2-4 hours or else they can be in
trouble.  This is why food and water should be available to them at all
times.  Ferrets do, however, burrow and hide themselves in and under things
when they sleep, and like all animals, may go and hide when they are ill.
Sparky, a late neutered hob (jib) of mine, gets so much as a runny nose and
will secrete himself somewhere, turn up his toes and prepare to die!  He is
not very stoic.

I don't think a ferret that is running even a low-grade temp should have a
heat lamp placed on him, but should be provided and/or wrapped in bedding.
However, ferrets and other pets coming out of surgery do need to be kept
warm by heat until they are stabalized, and this may be what you were
observing.

You might want to talk to this doctor again, Rebecca, in a calm manner, and
see if you can clear the air.  He might be feeling badly about how he
reacted.  If he is not - well, there are lots of good vets around.  Best of
luck, and keep us posted on little Jitterbug.

Nursing ferrets with ECE - a lot has been written in recent weeks on this
dread disease and I was so sorry to note that loss rates of up to 40% are
being reported.  This illness still poses a dreadful toll, especially on
ferrets whose health is already compromised or who are older.  The most
important thing you can do for your ill ferret is to get as much fluid and
easily digested nutirents into him/her as possible - as doubtless everyone
knows by now.  Rapid identification of the disease and immediate hydration
is crucial.  Ferrets should be hydrated orally or by subcutaneous fluids, in
my opinion, every two hours around the clock.  It is often not the amount,
but the frequency that is the key here.  During the day - force oral fluids,
if necessary, every two hours - giving at least 15 - 20 cc's.  Set alarm at
night for every 2-3 hours, and continue this for at least the first 3-4 days
after on-set.  Follow vet's instructions on giving antibiotics and other
meds.  If ferret exhibits nausea - give 1/15th (approximate) of pepto bismol
tablet 15-20 minutes before fluids to help stomach settle.  If ferret fights
or will not take orals, ask your vet to teach you to adminster fluids by
injection - for short adjunct

Various recipes have been offered on what to give - and all have merit - the
most important however, is fluid.  For very sick animals in early stages - I
give half pedialyte and half ensure, sustecal, or Deliver 2.0.  All nutrical
ferret will take, and felovite II or other vitamin source.  State-VME is
also good, and available from your vet.  It is an easily digestible
nutrient, vitamin and electrolyte source.  I also add Special Care by Four D
Paws - available from supply houses and Omaha Vaccine Co and others.  After
first day or so, I give duck soup which contains powdered Totally Ferret and
chicken baby food.  Also, will add purieed freshly cooked chicken.

Bony backs are often noted in ferrets who have ECE, and in my opinion, this
loss of muscle covering is caused by the body's attempt to retrieve protein
to save the brain.  But ferrets to go down hill and become quite thin very
fast.  The body will also rob organs such as the liver and kidneys as well -
ECE desimates the intestinal track robbing it of its ability to adequately
absorb protein.  I think that it is important to get an organ profile on ECE
victims to see how organs are fairing.

Also, in my opinion, during crucial phase of ECE, I would not be worrying
about overdosing your ferret with vitamins.  With the loss of ability to
digest - for short term - get all you can into your baby.  If they are
willing to suck up the nutrical - let them.  Also, ferretone or linetone -
this provides essential fatty acids and may help by providing some coating
action.

I have good luck in getting nutrients into sick ferrets by using an infant
medicine dropper - feel gives you better control than a syringe.  And, you
can completely fill the dropper, including bulb.  Hold ferret and give at
side of mouth in front of teeth.  Once ferret gets taste, or is feeling
slightly better, will take it from the front of the mouth.

And don't forget love.  When one of my ferrets is very ill, I tuck my baby
inside my clothes and carry him/her around warmed close to my heart.  I also
sleep with them held close near my face.  I have carried sick ferrets tucked
close for days at times.  Women have the advantage here because a bra makes
a great ferret-tucking sling!

If anyone disagrees with what I have written - please write and give your
opinion.  Cheers, Meg.