From:
"Bruce H. Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 1995 07:32:55 -0400
To Bill Williamson:

> I do know that the bismouth from the Pepto Bismol and the antibiotics do
>tend to turn the stool...  black in those people who take it for the
>helicobacter virus, and wonder if that is a consideration here???  Also does
>pepto bismol in large enough doses to do some long term good have to be taken
>with antibiotics ???

     Bill - ferrets hate the taste of liquid Pepto.  Try crushing 1/15th of
a tablet and mixing it with a small amount of Linatone or baby food.  It is
much more palatable that way.

     Yes the black discoloration caused by the bismuth in PB can make it
difficult to know whether the ferret continues to pass digested blood in the
stool from a gastric ulcer - so we have to look closer for other signs -
grinding teeth, vomiting, etc.

     We are giving PB and antibiotics for basically two different, but
interrelated reasons.  The antibiotics treat the Helicobacter infection but
have no effect on the ulcers.  The PB helps with the ulcer, but has no efect on
the Helicobacter.  As both conditions often occur simultaneously, we generally
incorporate both drugs into the therapy to treat everything simultaneously.

--
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]                       Armed Forces Institute of Pathology