From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 00:32:14 -0400
Lighting: We replaced one light switch in the ferrets' room with a 7-day
programmable timer switch.  I check www.intellicast.com weekly for the
times of sunrise and sunset, then set the timer to turn the Ott plant
lights on and off at those times.  I try to remember to turn the other
lights off around the same time, but I am not very strict about keeping
them in the dark.

Pellets: Our wood stove pellets are not treated with kerosene, they do
dissolve into sawdust when peed on, and they smell just fine.

Ferretone: I mix two tablespoons of ferretone with four tablespoons of
olive oil (not extra virgin, but not light) in a small colloidal silver
bottle with a glass dropper.  I can give very small amounts to all the
ferrets, around and around the eager circle of tongues, without
overdosing them on vitamin A.  They love plain olive oil, too.

Training for Escapes: All our ferrets come to a squeaky toy because I
squeak it while they are eating treats until they learn what it means;
then I reinforce it now and then.  I haven't had to use it on a lost
ferret yet, but I'm hoping it will increase their ability to hear me
calling them.

Training for Escapes: I think taking a walk around the neighborhood now
and then teaches them what the direction home smells like.  All my
ferrets have voluntarily trotted on the leash once they knew we were
heading back in the direction of home though they don't like heading away
from home.  I also take them in both doors in case they get out the one
we rarely use.

Blessings
Judith
--