From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:57:58 -0500
I do not think that you grasp the difficulties of ferrets.  They need a
LOT of human interaction.  They need darkness.  They need protection
from heat.  They need vaccinations.  There are some really terrible
complications with whole ferrets and breeding that can happen and such
a setting would never work for that.  They need medical care and a lot
of it (plus most of their diseases are treatable with operations or
medications so it gets expensive with the cost one year in our family --
with about a quarter of the number of ferrets that you mention -- being
about half of what a decent new automobile would cost).  Please, read
about ferrets extensively.  I suggest that you go to
http://www.ferretcongress.org
and use all of the links there, and also read all the sections at
http://www.ferretcentral.org.

I can tell you that from what you have written you really do not seem to
have any grasp of what conditions ferrets need, or of most of their care
needs.  When you have learned and when you have a workable arrangement
for them then I suggest that you begin by finding a shelter in Europe
which has two or three sterilized adult ferrets who have not been abused
for you to learn about ferrets by having for a number of years.  Are you
familiar with the expressions "My eyes were bigger than my stomach.", or
"Biting off more than he can chew."?  That is what I think that you are
trying to do -- to undertake something that is beyond the conditions and
level of information which you have.

The best thing if a debate gets too overwrought for someone's taste is
to just scroll past it; yes, I know that few unusual access routes don't
allow that which is a shame, but most people have the option.  One thing
I have noticed over the years is that some of those debates which are
turning into fights go away fastest when they are just ignored.

I think a lot of what happens is that people don't necessarily write
or read clearly.  Sometimes that causes someone to have a tender spot
aggravated, sometimes it truly and deeply scares someone that needed
care won't be provided, sometimes it makes people not realize that a
statement is general rather than targeted to a specific individual, etc.
In a forum this size such difficulties just are inevitable.  It's like
having a small town in your living room sharing in a conversation but
not hearing tone or voice, not seeing body language, etc.  Unclear or
misunderstood language on top of that just makes communication harder.
Ironically, I have noticed over the years that the worst
misunderstandings don't usually happen when there are language barriers
but usually happen among primary English speakers.  I think that perhaps
when English is a second language we might all be more likely to assume
that something may just not have been expressed well.