From:
Scott Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:58:10 -0400
Hi y'all,

Scott and I had our very first experience with the "dead ferret syndrom"
back in 1987 when the "Twins" were born.  When the girls were about 5 weeks,
just getting theirs eyes and ears open, it happened.  They were so full of
life, making their cute little kit noises, being a constant challenge to mom
"Sweetcakes".  I went in to check on them and to give them their mushy food
and they didn't come out of their nest box.  I reached in and took little
Widget out and she was "Limp".  She was warm but she didn't appear to be
breathing and she didn't move at all.  I quickly reached in and removed Miss
Bookem and she responded by yawning and stretching.  I put her back in the
nest box and began to work with WIdget.  I called for Scott and told him
that one of the babies was dead.  I was in a panic and tears were streaming
down my face because I had no clue as to what had happened to this cute
little fur baby.  All of a sudden, she shudders, yawns, stretches and opens
her eyes.  I realized then that ferrets have the unique ability to go into a
sleep so deep that no movement is made, their breathing becomes so shallow
that it seems to be non-existent, and the heart rate is barely discernable.
I have to admit that it scared the heck out of me.

A couple of years ago, one of the local shelter ladies calls and requests
that I go to one of the local pet stores to check on the ferrets that are
being displayed for sale.  The shelter operators in this area are not that
familiar with ferrets, so I am called if there is a ferret question.  'K"
explains to me that another shelter volunteer had gone to this pet store and
became quite alarmed at the condition of the ferrets.  They were reported to
have no food, no water, feces in the corner of their enclosure and were very
lethargic to the point that it was in question that several would still be
alive by the time I drove to the pet store which would take approximately 20
minutes.  The ladies were to meet me there.  I arrived at the store before
either of the ladies and decided to check things out for myself.  I asked
the clerk if the store had ferrets for sale and was escorted to where the
little ones were located.  I asked if it would be possible to take one or
two out and was given the ok.  I almost could not control my laughter when
I observed the small mound of ferrets.  There was plenty of water, plenty
of food and, yes, there was feces in the corner, but they were in a corner
litter pan.  Most of the ferrets were asleep but as I began to take one out
and hold it, they began to awaken.  Before long the entire group was awake
and playing only as ferret kits can play.  They were healthy, happy, normal
kits.  The two shelter volunteers arrived just in time to observe the little
ones playing.  The one who reported the "ill and dying" kits could not
believe that these were the same ferrets.  What had happened was simple, she
had observed one of the ferrets displaying the "dead ferret syndrom" and
freaked.  I explained to both she and "K" that sometimes some ferrets will
sleep so deeply that it appears that he/she is dead or very close to death.
The two shelter volunteers got ferret lesson 1-0-1 in ferret behavior.
Needless to say, both ladies were very contrite about having called me out
to check on a business of healthy, happy kits.  I let them off the hook
because it was a lesson well learned and better safe than sorry.  In
hindsight, it was hilariously funny, but not so funny as I was racing
across treacherous, mountainous roads to reach the store.

Ferrets, you gotta love 'em!!

For the ferrets, always

Margaret, Scott and the 19, two of which display "dead ferret syndrom"
regularly, and three of which are 8yoa and don't display the syndrom, fur
kids
Exclusively Ferrets