From:
eri garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 07:18:43 -0500
I posted last week about Vicki Montgomery, who runs Tricks & Treats
Rescue out of Pasadena, TX.  At the time, she had taken in eight ferrets
from NOLA to foster.  I now understand that she has acquired three more,
in addition to the ferrets she previously was fostering and/or had up for
adoption.  At least one needs to have surgery.  (One little four-year-old
guy is totally bald.  It seems his human was told that ferrets turn bald
"from old age!")  However, after my plea on her behalf (without her
knowledge) for donations, I had thought that folks who have been so
generous to other pleas for other shelters & rescues would help her as
well.  Unfortunately, it seems that she has received very little response
at all. :(

I know how many of you probably feel.  *Everyone* is asking for donations
these days, it seems, especially due to the Katrina disaster.  I, for
one, don't donate to organizations like the Red Cross, because the
funds often don't get to the people who really need it, when they need
it.  I also refuse to donate to fly-by-night bogus organizations that
mysteriously spring up after such disasters, because you have no way of
knowing to whom your funds are really going.  Is it really to help
victims?  Or is the money going to buy someone a new yacht, or a trip
to Vegas?

I am not affiliated with Tricks & Treats rescue.  I am just a VERY
pleased mom who has had the rare privilege of opening my home to one of
Vicki's rescues.  My husband and I adopted "Tucker", a DEW (who now is
turning more of a champagne color) almost two months ago as a playmate
for our other two fuzzies, Indy and Pixie.  The experience has been
astonishing!  (Poor little Tuck was rather picked on by several of the
other ferrets, and he wasn't able to express himself very much.  Now,
only having one brother & one sister, he has really started to come out
of his shell.  He plays with them -- and with out youngest kitty, a
two-year-old Lynx point/Tabby cross named Fiona -- like there's no
tomorrow.  He has also just recently started letting me play with him --
he loves to have his tummy tickled!)

I know that there was, for a few days, much discussion from people who,
like me, wanted to help with the Katrina disaster, but had no idea how
to.  We personally cannot take in any other ferrets at the moment (oh,
how I'd love to, though!!), so fostering isn't an option.  I don't
personally know anyone in the disaster zone, and we live in a house
too small to take in other people.  However, once I heard through the
grapevine that Vicki had (typically, I might add!) taken in eight NOLA
ferrets, I knew that she could use some assistance.  Like many rescues,
she runs her adoptions from her home.  She isn't particularly wealthy,
and anyone owned by a ferret (in most cases, ferretS) knows that caring
for the little guys & gals can get pretty expensive.  So, I started out
on a mission to try to find some funds on her behalf.

A couple of VERY generous folks have promised Vicki to send care packages
for her ferrets.  A couple more have promised monetary donations.  My
husband and I have recently been hit with several major financial
disasters -- but I'm currently scraping together a little money to send
Vicki myself, bills or no bills.  Surely, more of you kind folks can
find at least a couple of dollars to send her, too?  Please?  Every
little bit helps, you know!

 Please send donations to:
 *Tricks and Treats Rescue
  c/o Vicki Montgomery
  323 Brown Drive
  Pasadena, TX 77506
*
If you want to talk to her, you can reach her at:
713-472-6599

Thank you, folks!
 ~Eri :)

--
For Ferret Lovers in Texas & its Neighbors!