From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:52:42 -0500
Whenever Meltdown's feet or tail (the latter still bald from her adrenal
malignancy which was excised about three years ago) get too cold from her
cardiomyopathy she thrusts them into our mouths.  Anyone else encounter
this?

Cabinets:  Our best luck has been with locks which attach to two door
handles simultaneously.  They are in baby sections of stores and catalogs.

It was Oden (Wotan) who voluntarily gave up his eye to achieve a better
good.  Yes, it fits the ferret named for his son, Thor.

To find out why our youngest four footed daughter has been sleeping with
Newt Gingrich take a look at the catalog site (not our's):

Sherry, having someone check into references and inform us clearly as to
their content helps everyone.  Wouldn't a magazine piece on the (rare?)
heavily slanted articles in medical journals be grand?  The writer could
start by seeking out the ones you mention, talk about the contortions used
to fit personal biases and interview the authors, then use the format for
other articles and authors.  Thanks.

Catherine, folks of any age who don't fit the "perceived money" preferences
get treated that way by mortgage people.  We faced that 10 years older than
you even though we put down 30%, till we began making pre-payments for our
own peace of mind; then they assumed we gotten more income rather than
having lowered spending.  (We hate debt.)

Thanks.  We enjoy the Linatone and crushed pill solution.  BTW, pill guns
worked very well without any accidents for around 200 uses for us, but now
Meltdown has figured how to tense her throat to block pills.  Here's
another trick:  put a dollop of Nutrical on the top of a ferret's nose, and
when it starts to lick that off squirt in medicine at the side of the mouth.

Big thanks to Bill Gruber, who helps us continue to learn at such a grand
rate even after this many years with ferrets.  You're special, mister!

Pam Greene's and Mike Dutton's points were wonderful.  Given that there may
be several types of adrenal disease, and given that in humans hormonal
imbalances can be caused by severe stress situations (such as when my
ovaries shut down while I nursed Mom through terminal cancer and cared for
the family, despite my not fitting the groups likely to experience this),
and given that I trust the shelter owners who have seen bunched occurances
which differ from what many others have seen (for example, we have so far
had excellent health from our M.F.s), I found myself wondering if there
might be a certain subset of adrenal disease which is stress triggered, with
some populations being more likely to be subjected to stress (one of Pam's
points), or perhaps more genetically likely to respond poorly to such
stress, or both.  After all these years I've pulled out the stat and
calculus books and am relearning as time permits in case I may be able to
help Jeff a bit.  If a type is stress related the shelter stats could be
useful and might be a useful caution for vets to be extra careful with
adoptees.

Sukie

P.S. Actually, ferrets are originally from Antarctica, but they tipped over
all the native cattle, thus crashing the methane output and plunging the
temperature, which led to their becoming emigrants.  Want to fight global
warming?  FLO knows what to do.