From:
Brenda Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:57:17 -0800
Hello all, yes I have been lurking and learning alot about ferrets, also
learning that there are many people out there who love the little weasels
as much as we do.

My first experience with ferrets was with my brother in laws ferret, a
little blind sickly ferret named Gracie, she came with the house he just
bought, he couldn't give her the care she needed, so my husband and I
offered to take her for the winter.  My husband used to breed them for
hunting many years ago and had never experienced them as pets.  anyway, it
took about 20 mins of Gracie hanging out in my inside pocket of my coat and
I was in love.  We wandered around Seattle all day with her in our pockets
and she was very happy there.  when we got her home after a week or two it
was obvious that she needed company.  we called the Oregon Ferret shelter
(wonderful place) after a couple visits we picked out scooby.  and the tow
of them were very happy together.  he brought out her playfulness but was
very gentle with her ( she was old and blind).  after we had them both for
about 4 months we lost Gracie to her old age and very hot weather.  My
husband was very heartbroken as gracie was his little girl.  But she was
very ill and we figured that we had made the rest of her life happy.  she
went to the beach and spent lots of time out side, we even took them on a
two day hike into the olympic national park.  So now we were back down to 1
ferret and knowing how social scooby is we knew it was time to start
looking again.  so we watched the papers and soon enough there was an add
for 3 free ferrets.  people had bought them from a pet store and you know
the rest, not enough time to spend with them ect.  so I went to look at
them and knew I would never part with even one of them ( we had planned to
keep one and find a good home for 2).  so now we are a happy family of 1
mom, 1 dad, 3 kids and 4 ferrets.  I have learn that ferrets are the best
pet anyone could ever want.  Our ferret babies are scooby (he barley
tolerates the young babies, he regularly lets them know who the top dogs
is) ,a sable male with the most adorable little face, then there is "the
boy" (any good suggestions for a name?, a sweet little sable male who
worships the ground scooby waddles on, then there is miss piggy, always
first to the food dish and a fat little belly (yes we keep an eye on her to
make sure she doesn't get to fat), last but most certainly not least is
goldie Daddy's new little girl, who is absolutely obsessed with any 16 oz
pop bottle she can find and will push it around on the floor until you take
it from her and hide it.  well thanks for spending the time to get to know
the motley crew.  soon I will have a web page and will have pictures of
them at the beach and in the snow (we have very well traveled ferrets).

thanks for reading on
Ric, Brenda, Scooby, The Boy, Piggy, Goldie