From:
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:09:05 EDT
I'm trying to find time to post by its really hard around here, but free
time is non existent anymore.  But I have to tell you about a new program
our shelter has started, Happy Ferret Campers.

After reading Bob's enrichment series, I got to thinking about what I
could do to make the ferrets here that are permanent residents lives a
bit better.  We have been overwhelmed this summer with ferret turn ins.
They all get the utmost in love and care, but I felt there must be more
I can do for them.  I moved into a house with a backyard that is not
secure for the ferrets to go out and play in.  So I got to thinking, I
have friends that can go outside in their yards with their ferrets.  Most
of these fine folks already have their comfortable amount of personal
ferrets and fosters.  so asking them to take in more on a regular basis
would not be good.  So the idea of Ferret Camp came to me.  How it works
is that we have a list of the permeant residents of the shelter that on
a rotating basis between the homes with yards they go to "camp" for a
week or weekend.  So far we have sent out 6 campers to 3 homes, 4 still
at Julie's that come home Monday.  The ferrets are happy, the camp
counselors are loving it and it gives my old tired butt a teeny break.
Its a great program that is working for us and I wanted to share with
other shelters, so that they may want to do a program like this.  Its
really great for the folks that want to help but really can't take in
another ferret for their own or long term foster.  We will be posting
pics on our site soon, so you can all see the ferrets at camp.  I love
hearing the stories the counselors tell me about their stay at camp,
its very rewarding and very funny.

Well, off to tend to my herd of shelter kids.
Take care,
CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue And Shelter
"where ferrets are treated like gold"