From:
Michelle Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 23:35:24 -0500
Hi all,

Just wanted to share a scary story and hope it makes some of us more aware
of our little ferts and their whereabouts.  I know it did me.  A couple of
weeks ago, I was cleaning the ferret cage out and needless to say my three
crazies were living it up running around.  I needed something out of our
study to clean with and little did I know that my husband was in the study
playing with our cockatiel, who just happened to be out of her cage
exploring the ground.  Needless to say, my big male squirted through the
door and before we knew it, we heard squaking and saw feathers.  My husband
jammed his thumb into our ferret's molars to keep him from clamping down and
we got him off of there.  It was harder than his grip on his marshmallow bag
when he steals it.  A long story short, one stressed bird and 5 stitches
later, everything was alright.  He had lacerated her neck severely and it
just so happened to be on the side without the jugular vein, thank goodness.
I have never seen a 2 1/2 lb.  ferret move so fast in my life.  It was so
instinctual.  So for those of you that may have a situation similar to this
one at home, be very careful.  One moment of letting our guard down about
had us lose a pet.  I just wanted to share this story with you all.  I just
hadn't heard of many ferret vs. cockatiel survival stories.  Ha!

Michelle