From:
Debra Kindervatter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 08:58:33 -0400
may 22

i have a business of eight -
most of them have been abused/neglected/abandoned.  four years ago, i
saved a male sable.  he was picked up in jersey city, nj by two animal
control guys.  it appears that this woman had two ferrets in her
apartment, but one was dead and the other one was feeding on the dead
one.  in new jersey (at this time) you're given a citation and the animal
is taken to the pound.  you can well imagine the pound in jersey city, nj.
the woman never paid, so i had to wait thirty days to rescue him (the time
she had to pay).  i visited him weekly and finally got him.  his name is
hannibal (i know, i know, but the name really fits).  for the first 4
months my hands and arms looked like chopped meat they were so bloody.  i
knew that i was not going to adopt him out because he wouldn't be given a
fair chance.

it took years but hannibal today is a sweet boy who will still bite me
hard but very rarely.  it just took months and months of patience and
love.  he had been so horribly abused i knew it would take time.  i
believe that your ferret had a terrible history and the only way she can
relate to you is biting you.  PLEASE give it time.  i feel like i earned
a ticket to heaven with my patience for dealing with hannibal but it was
well worth it.

oh yea, don't let visitors, etc.  play with her.  hannibal really only
trusts me and my husband, and that's AOK with him.

good luck
debbie