From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 23:13:00 -0400
Hi All, I just wanted to tell everyone about some special deliveries.....

On Monday my subshelter in Dowingtown, PA was called by the Humane
Society about a pair of ferrets that came into their facilities.  When
Liz went to get the ferrets, only one survived, the other was very
dehydrated and didn't make it.  The girl she picked up was looking "fat"
and changing coats.  Now knowing Liz was new to the shelter part, I asked
her if she was dehydrated.  She told me that she has taken the little
girl to the vet who had thought that was possibly pregnant but after
Liz's comment that it was rescue, the vet didn't think to pursue the
possibility.  Well low and behold, the little girl had babies on Tuesday
night.  The same night I went to pick her up.  Since my subshelter was
not equipped or had the knowledge to take care of a mom and babies, I
(with my fingers crossed) got the babies to my rescue.  The babies are
all doing well and will be adopted out as pets along with their mom.
They will be available for adoption in 3 months after they receive their
distemper shots.  The adoption fee is $125 with a $25 spay/neuter rebate
when they are altered.  These babies will be adopted out with a contract
stating they are to be altered and not used for breeding.

As if that was not bad enough I had another surrender from a Humane
Society near me in Bucks County, PA, call me and tell me that they had a
possibly pregnant female.  I just got her home yesterday when she also
had babies.  So all together I have 18 babies (8 from the 1st and 10 from
the 2nd)plus the mom's that will be looking for homes.  Though costs are
going up, all kids will be throughly checked and examined as they grow.
Also they will receive their distemper shots before they can be adopted
out.

Now this story is not done...On Wednesday morning I noticed a single dot
in the first mom's ear (we are calling her Kayla).  Thinking back about
6 years ago, a breeder from Canada was using the same tatoo in the ear.
I immediately called that breeder only to discover that breeder had sold
his business and supplies to another Canadian breeder who had agreements
with Pet Stores.  Now I wanted to make sure this was the case, so today I
called Pet Stores in Both Montgomery and Bucks Counties and found that 5
stores were receiving ferrets from a breeder in Canada and it was not
until they got complaints, that they found the ferrets were not altered
like the Marshall and Path Valley Ferrets they were used to getting in.
The pet stores have asked that I not name their stores as they are
currently trying to deal with the situation.  So upon a lengthly
investigation that ended about 40 mins prior to this post, I firmly
believe that I have two of those ferrets that the breeder from Canada
sent to pet stores unaltered.  To say the least, I have to find homes for
these babies and their moms.  I will find them good homes but I am asking
for help in finding those homes, so if anyone is interested in adopting
one of these kids and/or their moms, please let me know.

You can email me at [log in to unmask]

Sincerely,
Dawn Smith,
Vice President Legion of Superferrets