Date:
Tue, 2 May 1995 09:48:00 CDT
Sorry, couldn't resist this topic.  I do not believe the "ferrets" that
are seen in the wild are domestic ferrets, more likely polecats (yes we
do have polecats imported in the US), minks, or weasels.  Let's look at
this logically.  Domestic ferrets have been here since the late 1600's
and we all know what great escape artists they are.  Unaltered females
must be spayed or mated or they will very likely die, which means if
an unaltered female escapes and doesn't find an escaped intact male if she
doesn't starve to death first or be killed by a domestic or wild animal
she will die of aplastic(sp) anemia.  In the more than 300 years we've
had ferrets there are no feral or wild reported colonies in any of the
states.  Now for survival skills - domestic ferrets do not know how to
hunt for food (unless of course they are hunting for a human with a bag
of kitten food), they are finicky eaters, they cannot tolerate extremes
of temperatures (hot & cold), they have no survival instincts or defenses
against other animals (wild and domestic), and they have little fear, if
any.  Ferrets living out of a barn being fed by the owner and sold as pets
doesn't mean they have become wild, it means their owner is quite ignorant
of the care and treatment they need, obviously if they are sold as pets this
is an indication of tameness.  Polecats will never loose their wildness just
as a wolf would not.  I'll leave this aspect to those that may have experience
with wild animals.

Just because someone seems to be a reliable source doesn't mean they know
what they are talking about.  I personally know a veterinarian who does not
believe ferrets can catch and pass the human cold and flu, and another that
insists ferrets should be vaccinated against feline distemper, and what about
the so-called rabies experts that recommend if a ferret bites it be killed
and tested.

If someone thinks they've seen a "wild" domestic ferret, then they should
try to catch it.  I will be more than happy to come to their location to
be shown I am wrong, although I will bring mustela experts with me just in
case it is a polecat or hybrid.  And if they didn't have any trouble
catching it.....

I know I've forgotten some things but this has already gone on too long.

Hugs to all and their "domestic" ferrets!  tle