From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:51:29 -0600
The necropsy results for Jet just came back and I thought I would share them
with you.  But before I do, I have two things to say.  First, I support and
value my veterinarian, and will not appricate any sugestions that they might
have been at fault for any reason.  Second, I will not release the breeder's
name because, even though many of you know who it is, this was not their
fault either.  This is a sad event, but it wasn't anyones fault, so, up
front, no nasty remarks to or about anyone.

Jet was not in a silent heat.  She had some changes in her ovaries and
uterus that suggested she had started to go into heat, but had not been in
heat at time time of her death, nor had she been in heat prior to that time.
This would suggest a misdiagnosis from my vet, but understand the inital
diagnosis was made on the basis of symptomology and a blood smear.  Perhaps
the surgery should have been held off, but, it wasn't the cause of death,
and there is no evidence that it contributed to death.

The results of the necropsy indicated all organs and systems looked normal,
including the bone marrow.  Yet the number of red and white blood cells were
abnormally low.  A sort of round-table discussion took place between myself,
my vet-student friend and a couple of professors of vet medicine, and the
most probable diagnosis was acute sudden onset autoimmune hemolytic anemia.
In plain English, Jet suddenly developed a type of self-allergic reaction
which caused the destruction of her blood cells.  This explains why nothing
helped; not the transfusion, nothing.  As her blood cells were destroyed,
Jet simply lost the ability to get oxygen to her tissues, and essentially
suffocated.

After a long discussion with the breeder (the breeder called ME, not the
other way around.  The breeder is heartbroken and just as upset as I am), I
was informed of a similar event 5 generations past, also with a 9 month old
female going into heat.  A similar diagnosis was made at that time.  At the
time of the first incident, it was considered a fluke, and it never occurred
again.  That is until Jet.

Jet, like Carbone, was a black sable and one of the finest ones I have ever
seen.  She was highly intelligent, very people oriented and very robust, all
attributes of a good breeding program.  Many generations ago, her geneology
included two ferrets on both familial sides, a practice quite common and
normally quite benign (we are not talking brother-sister here).  Jet died
from a recessive disorder that probably traces back to a single ancestor on
both sides.

The chances of this happening are quite small.  If you have a recessive
trait, your chances of passing it on are only 1/4 because you have 2 copies
of the gene (one good, one bad) and your partner has 2 copies.  So each
offspring has a 25% chance of getting the gene.  Their offspring has only
1/16 of a chance, then 1/64th and so on.  After being given the lineage from
both sides, Jet's chance of getting two copies of the bad gene was 0.001953
or about 1 chance out of 512 births.  That is pretty good odds, and only
after assuming equal chances on both sides.  Those chances are also assuming
the disease is a simple recessive trait, which is not proven; getting the
disease could require two bad genes, in which case the odds start becoming
astronomical.

It also means that in a small scale breeding program the problem is
essentially invisible, and the breeder cannot be blamed.  A single incident
does not illustrate a genetic link, and no one can be blamed for not making
that assumption.  Since the disease is quite rare, and no knowledge of
genetic problems was known, the vet cannot be blamed.  Even had the vet
known, no treatment is available.  Jet's fate was sealed the moment she was
concieved, a result of an unlucky random genetic crapshoot.

The interesting thing here is Jet was the product of an attempt to INCREASE
genetic diversity through the importation of German stock.  From the
detailed genetic information supplied to me (a result of careful record
keeping on the part of the breeder), Jet had genes from at least two gene
pools, and was probably LESS inbred than the average ferret.

I have been careful not to mention the name of the breeder, not just because
they do not deserve nasty talk about something out of their control, but
also because this diagnosis and analysis is a hypothesis, not a theory, not
a fact.  It is a best guess, and no one needs to be crucified on the basis
of a guess.  I commend the breeder for not only providing an open and honest
access to their breeding records, nor only for providing them without a
single request, but also for keeping those records in the first place.
Additionally, I commend the breeder for providing potientially damaging
information without being asked, namely the information about the previous
death.  Regardless of what you may or may not think of this person, this
openness and honesty demonstrates a deep love and concern for ferrets, which
to me is all that matters.

I have no cause for concern to go back to my vet, and intend to do so often
and repeatedly.  Nor do I have ANY reservations about getting another ferret
from this same breeder; I wouldn't have a moment's hesitation.  Both did the
best they could do, which was as good as could be done.

As for the nearly 200 people that took the time to write me about Jet, thank
you very much.  I plan on sending personal notes to each one of you, but
with so many messages, it might take some time.  Thanks.

Bob C and 19 Meat Munching Monsters (Missing Jet)