From:
Lisa Goggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:18:19 EST
I have enjoyed hearing other peoples comments about the downfalls of
ferrets.  But, I feel maybe a few of you misunderstood what I was asking.
Im sure everyone on this list is totally crazy about their fuzzies as I am
also otherwise we would not have searched the internet for a list on our
babies.  But, I posted because what I have learned from owning ferrets is
that the responsibility of them is far more than what many people think
when they buy them.  I have known so many of my friends who had ferrets
growing up (I am only 22) and none of them still have the ferrets and its
not because they didnt love them but because they didnt understand that
what they were purchasing was such a huge commitment.  I think to often
people purchase ferrets for thier kids thinking it is the same thing as
a rabbit or hamster, I know I did...

Anyhow, I totally love the furrkids but I just think we do so much
praising them all of the time because they hold such a huge chunk of our
heart but I think we should also sometimes let people know the many, many
health problems of ferrets, the expenses and huge reponsibility of them so
more of these ferrets dont end up in shelters because they simply werent
what the owners had "expected".