Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 16:42:50 -0700
Wow, I don't check in over the weekend and ya jump into my arena!  Most
of the points I would make have now been made, but since my name was
thrown into the mix, I'll jump into the fray here.  The truth is that
for years deafness was the *invisible* handicap.  Children were in
trouble at home for ignoring their parents, at school for not paying
attention.  Because the hearing loss fluctuated or was configured so that
they were able to detect the presence of a sound, but not understand what
was said, many children were thought to be *bad* because they did not
respond consistently.

Kathy Buckley, a deaf comedienne, said, *When I was young, I was put in
a school for retarded kids for two years before they realized I actually
had a hearing loss.  And they called ME slow!*  It is true, although not
politically correct!  Deaf or hard of hearing children were treated as
slow or bad.  And, they were punished because of that behaviour.  Wolfy
is right when she says that they are *subject to abuse.* This does not
mean they will be abused, but MOST owners are not as educated as are FML
readers.  They are more likely to see the nipping as a way of being
naughty than of getting attention.

Sir Walter and Rocky Bobbles are both *deaf.*  However, I think they
are hearing some frequencies.  Why?  Because I see subtle responses to
things - and I am trained to observe them.  I have been doing this for
more than 20 years and am an expert at pediatric evaluations.  I also
have done animal testing.  (This summer I hope to be able to test both
Sir Walter's and Rocky's hearing and maybe get a better idea of just what
they DO hear.) Anyway, Sir Walter, who is also blind, will come up to me
and nip at my foot for attention.  When he was younger, he kept on until
I picked him up.  Now he just does it once and waits until I reach for
him.  They learn, and so do we, with proper training.  I use visual
(sign language and eye contact), tactile (vibrations of my throat and
my breath) and combination (using the sign for *no* on his face while
saying the word *no*) approach.

A new addition, a biter from the pet store, was surrendered to a friend
in May 2003.  He has really *weird* markings and I have always been
concerned about his health.  He was adopted by a special family and I
still keep in touch.  But, I was afraid that some health problems would
arise because he was obviously genetically *different* in his markings.
I heard from them a few days ago.  They think that he is losing his
hearing.  The pics sure make him look older than 2.  Acquired hearing
loss?  Oh, yeah.

There was no apparent offense in any of the posts I read.  Let me
reiterate - if you are on this list, you are looking for information.
You are probably in the top 5% of all ferret owners in the world.  And,
as in all those cases of being surrounded by people who are informed and
at the top of the heap, so to speak, it appears that EVERYBODY knows
this.  Not true.  Only this elite group knows this and the rest of them
turn away.  As Wolfy said, newbies who unknowingly acquire a deaf ferret
may just think they are bad.

>People don't abuse deaf ferrets because they're deaf.  Yes, it was
>damn frustrating training her,

ME: Which is something that many people won't take the time to do.

> It's all about" discipline"  The little deaf guys just take a
>little bit longer.

ME: This is true.  But, remember, to many this is interpreted as slapping
or throwing - something that is to be *remembered.* However, just like
the deaf child, the deaf ferret will repeat the mistake because they do
not know what they did wrong.

>Deaf animals get by in nature just fine some of the time.

ME: OR, nature wins and they are eliminated - survival of the fittest.  I
dont always like it, but it is true.

>We finally determined that this poor innocent being had been deaf and
>no one, I repeat - NO ONE had figured it out, and from his reactions we
>determined he had previously been abused.  A vibrant life was snuffed
>out because the caretaker, and her vet, hadn't figure out he was deaf.
>She felt terrible but the fact remains that a deaf ferret was needlessly
>and wrongfully euthanized.  If only she had contacted me BEFORE the
>decision....

ME: It is the EXPERIENCE of having been around what is normal and knowing
what to look for when the animal does not act normal that helps us know
what an animal needs.  Even with children we are sometimes fooled into
thinking that the child can hear.  Why?  Because they are NOT stupid -
they learn to make adjustments in their lives to compensate for the
lack of hearing.  Animals will especially try to hide a *defect* or
*weakness.*  Why?  It is necessary to survival.

>Just because you, or anyone in your area wouldn't harm a deaf ferret,
>doesn't mean others won't.

ME: Amen.  Remember the post last week about accepting responsibility for
small children and animals?  Well, look what happens to many children out
there.  I doubt MOST parents would intentionally harm their children, but
some DO.  AND, many think they deserve it for being *bad.*

If you know me, you will know that even people who do NOT know me and
are hearing impaired *find* me at meetings.  Not sure why or how.  But,
just like the animals, they seem to know that I will take the time to
communicate with them.  And, I am the one who is always the richer for
it.  Just as ferret owners who take the time for their special needs
ferrets are the richer for it.

Whether you know it or not, there are several deaf FML members.  It
doesn't show up on the listserv.  It is, after all, the *invisible*
handicap.

And, on a personal note, Alicia wrote:
>ASK ANYONE who has met Jerimiah..  HE has been in SEVERAL shelters
>before FerretWise-- and he now has sanctuary here-- but anyone who
>picks him up other than myself GETS BITTEN.

ME: Not me, Alicia!  Remember?  I got a kiss on the cheek and he NEVER
even nipped.  Do you think it is because he knows I work with hearing
impaired people?  Or, did he see me signing?  (Can you tell I am proud of
the fact that Jeremiah, that beautiful boy, kissed me and didn't bite?)

Hope nobody was offended.  I'm not the PC type either, Wolfy.

renee :)

Ferret Aid 2006
June 23 - 25, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada