From:
"Benita G. Booker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:18:03 EDT
Hi,

For a little comfort, there are a few of us that work in petstores.  I have
to agree about some things.  I got scolded for playing with the pets too
much.  But, we do allow customers to handle the ferrets.  I still do when I
close the store play with them.  There are alot of people who should never
own a pet including a beta fish.  One thing that may get me into trouble
but hasn't yet.  I don't have a problem telling people that a ferret would
not be a good pet for you.  But, I will do that for any pet.  Believe me.
I have heard some of the most craziest things.  A couple days ago, someone
left a lab puppy outside the door.  Puppy was not even 4 months old.  Get
mad no.  At least they did not keep it and then abuse or neglect it.  I
have five ferts.  I do know my limit and have called the shelter that deal
with to take one there.  Funny, it had only been bought 3 weeks before.
Most of the time if someone has a question about the ferrets they will tell
the person to call back when I am at work.

Educating people is another story.  I always tell people to get a book or
online about the pet they are inquiring about.  I can't tell you how
frustrating it is when people will not read.  They want you to answer
questions that they have.  On occasion I will not answer certain question
without asking them if they have read anything about what they are
inquiring about.

Not all employees of petstores like animals.  There are some that are
scared of furry animals.  Some get over their fears, some don't.  One girl
did an interview and admitted she didn't like to hold her dog for a period
of time.  I guess they figure it will balance with the other employees.

All this to say, there are a small percentage of us that care sometimes too
much.  But, I have noticed the pets that are sold when I am not there have
a high percentage of problems and sometimes end up coming back.  4 days ago
someone sold a pregnant guinea pig.  Something I have always stressed not
to do.  Well, the animal and babies died.  I use to go to the store on my
days off.  I have tried to stop.  I go when my babies (ferrets) are sleep,
but I also like to hold and talk to my ferts when they are sleep.  That's
probably why they are spoiled rotten.  I often wonder if I could be
handicapping them with too much love.  If something happen to me.  Will
they be able to cope.  I worry about their welfare everyday.

Thank you for listening,

Dooks,
NeeJa and the MOD's (Masters of Disaster)