Subject:
my reply to dd dd <[log in to unmask]> (was: i have a few quetsion [sic])
From:
Rhyakitty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:00:44 -0500
Please, go out and buy a copy of Kim Schilling's book Ferrets for Dummies.
It's the best book you'll ever read on ferrets, and I promise it will
answer all your questions.  You can buy it at amazon ( a handy link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764552597/o/qid=977187015/sr=8-1/
ref=aps _sr_b_1_3/107-7113453-1706947)
or at Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc.

Now for more direct answers:

>1.How often do ferrets bite?

If trained properly and allowed plenty of exercise outside of his cage, the
ferret shouldn't bite you at all.  If it does nip, pick it up by the scruff
of its neck (support its bottom with your other hand) get right up in it's
face, and say 'NO' very sternly.  NEVER HIT OR PHYSICALLY DICIPLINE THE
FERRET.

>2.will a ferret rip up the carpet?

Again, it shouldn't if trained properly.  Some people have found success
with a bit of plastic chair runner under doors, or by spraying Bitter Apple
in places wherre the ferret tends to dig at the carpet.  I've had cats that
were much worse about digging the carpet than ferrets though, so don't
dwell on that unless it's a real problem.  They do like to dig under the
doors, but unless they're very determined, it rarely causes damage.

>3.IS taking the ferret to the vet a big deal

Can be.  ferts tend to be into everything, and are a visual representation
of murphy's law.  If it can go wrong, it will go wrong, and when you least
expect it.  Be sure to ferret proof things thourroughly.  Ferrets for
dummies will explain this.

>4.how bad do ferrets smell and can u light insence

Keep their bedding clean (wash it once or twice a week) and clean their
cake (doh, caught this on the rebound.  CAGE) and potty box regularly, and
they won't have as much odor.  Only wash your fert itself maybe once every
other month, unless it gets into something messy.  They actually tend to
smell more if you wash them too often.  Don't light incense in the same
room where you keep your fert.  It can cause upper respiratory infections
(not to mention that breathing ANY kind of smoke is carcinogenic) Keeping
the cage and bedding clean is better than trying to cover the smell up.

>5.how would u tell when they get a furball ?

Well, they can't cough furballs up like cats can.  Watch how much they
poop.  If they stop pooping, or the poops are pencil-lead thin, you could
have a furball or other intestinal blockage.  Give lots of linatone
(ferret/cat laxative), and take the fert to the vet quickly.  Blockages
are very dangerous and can be fatal.

Any more questions, feel free to either direct to me or to the FML.

Regards,

Stephanie, Bela and Angus