From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:00:36 -0400
Low Blood sugar:
Insulinoma is a very well documented medical problem of ferrets, nada one
of the most common ones in the U.S..  The vet needs to run blood glucose
levels and if they are off then give the usual meds: Prednisone and
Proglycem.  Usually surgery is used, but this is a nine year old you have.
Go to http://geocities.com/sukieslist
and read about it in most of the links there that are done by vets or
partly done by vets.  The ones by vets, Charlie Weiss at the bradleyhills
and ferretdoctor and those by Mike Dutton at the Weare and another sites
will be especially helpful, as will discussions found by using the
archives at the Ferret Health List:
---

>Also, I wanted to thank to the FML editor for continuing this FML after
>Lynn retired from the job.

I think that you are confusing the FML with Faiml which Lynn ran.

The FML predates any ferret list or website in the U.S. except for the
the original rec.pets.alt.ferrets from which it was born that went defunct
afterward (then there were many years without the rec. version before
someone began a new one.)  The FML began about 14 and 1/2 years ago.  (I
know because I was here and have been since) when a group of us took up
Chris Lewis on his offer to begin the list.  It was because we had a jerk
swamping us with posts on his imagined ways to torture ferrets, kill, and
cook ferrets so needed a moderated list.  Anyway, Chris was the moderator
for many years, and then Bill Gruber took over and has labored every day
for a large number of years.  *****How many now, Bill?*****
[Moderator's note: Been helping for over 10 years and moderating fully
for over seven.  BIG]

You can get the first issue -- back when we all knew absolutely squat
except what a few thin books said, nad back when the vets knew about
squat, too -- by sending the text "SEND FERRET 1" (without the quote
marks) to <[log in to unmask]>.  Back then the list included the
founders: Chris Lewis and wife Pat Pauley, and these charter members:
evans@mhuxt (Steve & Sukie Crandall), [log in to unmask] (Tom Danisavich),
[log in to unmask] (Susan A. Musil), tjs@tropix (Timothy J. Spires),
davis@utx1 (Gary A. Davis), alan@sequent (Alan Gardiner),
[log in to unmask] (Leonard Bottleman), [log in to unmask]
(Shu-Ju Wang-Burgess), [log in to unmask] (Janet L  Crow),
mnetor!uunet!vsedev!FMPMIS!scott (?  - mail was mostly garbled).  Those
addies are LONG gone!  LOL!  Those weren't the early internet years
(Steve was around in those though he wasn't among the very first) but
were maybe the early middling ones.

>Since I was stuck here, Dr. Crowe came up with this idea that I should
>apply this ingredient that may work just as well as HBO.  Guess what it
>is?  HONEY!

Honey is a very old infection treatment.  Some others include: rubbing
snakes on a wound (They actually do produce an antibiotic that can emerge
through their skin.), using maggots to eat out rotten tissue, cauterizing,
etc.)
---

>Hi Lisa, first thing I would do is get some wood and cover securely
>(using nails or anything that will stay that they can't pull down),
>all entrance ways into that stove.

Sorry, but that could be a great mistake.  That could be a fire hazard
with some stoves.  They should check with their local fire marshall to
find out what can be SAFELY done for whatever type of stove they have.
Some appliances need circulation, as does out refrigerator, so we got
caging and made a caged for the very bottom that hooks onto the legs of
the fridge for removal.
---

>Are we keeping our beloved ferts alive for us or them?

NO ONE except someone who is right there and knows the individual and the
particular medical situation can know if it is time yet.  We have had a
ferret who some list members (eps.  one who kept doing so over and over)
urged us to put done during a hard time of adjusting meds who got another
1 and a half YEARS of mostly pleasurable time afterward.  NO ONE can make
this judgement without being right there and knowing all the particulars
and the individual -- NO ONE...