From:
PAUL WHYLES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 23:28:41 +0100
We normally use Ferretone but it seems to be in short supply in the UK at
the moment so I thought I'd give ferretvite another try.  The ferrets
always seemed indifferent to the taste always preferring ferretone.  The
best thing for them was the sticky mess they ended up in.

So today I bought some to treat a sicky.  He's had an abscess on his neck
lanced at the vet and has to have oral antibiotic twice daily.  Normally
we give the patient a syringe of ferretone followed by by the dose of
antibiotic followed by another syringe of ferretone to take the nasty
taste away.  Usually ends up with varied combinations when they get wise
to what's going on!!

So having bought my tube of ferretvite I notice a flash on the front "Now
fortified with Taurine" .  I don't know if you have the same brand name
in the rest of the world but in the UK we have a caffeine energy drink
called "Red Bull".  The "bull" part coming from Taurine being one of the
ingredients.  Not wanting to give my ferrets anything to make them
anymore hyperactive than they already are I decided to research taurine
a little.

It seems that Taurine is a beneficial amino acid.  This link explains
mainly from a cat point of view but as I'm told a ferret's digestion is
closer to a cat's than most other mammals so I guess it will be true for
ferrets as well:

http://www.ivillage.com/pets/expert/vet/articles/0,12329,287564_271824,00.html

If anyone can confirm or deny any harmful or beneficial effects of
taurine I would like to hear about it I will cross post on some other
sites as well as I'm intrigued by it all.

The giving you wings part comes from the TV ad campaign in the UK for
"Red Bull" when having drunk it you are given a new lease of life.