From:
"Bryan P. Coffey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:42:23 -0500
Erika Matulich Wrote:" I AM AT A LOSS.  HOW DOES THIS FERRET KNOW WHAT A
SOCK IS?  Odor, color, fabric content, size, and style (from long
knee-high tube to footies) MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!  I don't know what else
to test in my experimental design! Help! "

Here are a few extra experiments that might provide some more useful
information (If Zodiac is willing to continue).

Material sizing experiment:  Tie similar socks together into clumps.  1
sock, 2 socks tied together, 3 socks tied together, ..., N socks tied
together.  Is sock size a criteria?

Weighting experiment: Fill the socks with different weights and tie
off:  Fill with crumpled paper loosely, tightly packed crumpled paper,
linen, bits of wood, marbles, lead weights.  Is weight a criteria?
(besides Zodiac might be interested in weight lifting too)

Availability experiment:  Tie the socks down.  Use varying lengths of
string to tie down the socks.  6 inches, 12 inches, 2 feet, 4 feet,
...and...BUNGIE CORD!  Is it possible that socks are just easiest to
move?

Appearence experiment:  Do socks just look like other ferrets?  Try
drawing faces on all of your socks.  Give some dog faces, some cat
faces, and some ferret faces.  Does Zodiac prefer ferrets?

Sex discrimination experiment:  If Zodiac prefers men's socks, find out
how far that sex discrimination goes.  Dress some of your men's socks in
trousers, and some in dresses.  Does he prefer cross dressers, or
ordinary socks?

            Bryan P. Coffey - Sudbury, MA