From:
Shannon Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:23:51 -0500
HOWDY ALL!

Well....You'll all LOVE THIS ONE!  My friends who live in a small town near
a woodsy area called Friday night to say that the husband (Ken) was working
on a car in his big well-lit garage, and a couple of ferrets wandered in!
SO, they called us to come and get them.  A few minutes later they called
back and said there were 3!  So, we grabbed a bigger pet carrier and headed
off for the short 10 minute drive to the country.  By the time we got there
(around 9:30 PM) there were 4!!!!  It seems that Ken, who works a lot in
his garage repairing cars, had seen a couple of these ferrets in the woods
for the last 2 weeks or so...and not seeing them up too close, just thought
they were weasels (sorry, that sounded dumb - but here in Iowa we do have
lesser and greater woods weasels).  Then, the little guys went into the
garage where Ken was working and thought they could get a little attention
and some food and water.  THen, I guess they decided to bring friends after
they got cat food and water and hugs from Ken and Teresa!  :)

They are all Marshall ferrets, and are only around 6-9 months old.  3 boys
and a girl - all just beautiful!  It's a good thing they wandered into
Ken's garage, because Saturday it was 100 degrees and soooo humid, they
would not have survived.  So, I took 'em home, gave 'em baths and cut
toenails, cleaned ears, etc.  They luckily had no ticks, but did have ear
mites and this was definitely the first toenail trim they ever had.  They
were not at all skinny or undernourished (neighbors cat food outside I
suppose).  THey are going in for physicals and poop checks today.  Anyway,
it appear that they had just been dumped - why do people do that!?!
AND...that's not all...

On Sunday, I got a call from the head of the Ferret Association, about a
little silver male around 2 years old at the local animal control center.
I called his previous owner to get the scoop.  THe guy said, "Well, I
wasn't sure if I wanted to keep him or not, so I was keeping him in the
garage - he was my daughter's pet for about 2 years.  Then I found out he
needed shots, so I took him to the animal shelter".  WHATEVER!!!!  I went
to pick him up - he was absolutely gorgeous!  True silver color, big black
eyes and a big black nose and very kissy!!!  I placed him that same
afternoon to a woman who needed a playmate for her little guy, and she
called last night to say they are very happy together!  SOOOOO...a BIG
rescue weekend for the Ferretville Funny Farm!  I now have 14 and 2 of
Andy's that I'm babysitting!  It's quite a riot around here!

Love and Dooks,
Shannon and all the frantic frolicking fuzzies