From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 18:30:18 -0400
THE ADVICE DISPENSED BY MYSELF IN REFERENCE TO FML POSTINGS IS NOT MEANT TO
SUPPLANT THE ADVICE OF VETERINARIANS WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF THE PATIENT.  IF
THE PATIENT IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER THE CARE OF A VETERINARIAN, THE CLIENT IS
RECOMMENDED TO TAKE THEIR FERRET TO ONE.

>From:    Anne Charbonneau <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: medical question for the vets, re: Victor
>Remember Victor?!?  He got a surgery for insulomina and adrenal a little bit
>than a year ago.  Since then, I have to give him pred to stabilize is
>glycemia.  Since a while, I had to increase the pred (2.5 mg bid) and to
>give also diazoxide (10 mg bid).

Except for another surgery to possibly remove another solitary tumor in the
pancreas, you do not have much option except to increase Victor s medication.

>From:    Katrina Ramsell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Yahoo!
>I just wanted to let you all know that I've been accepted to vet school at
>Michigan State University and will graduate with the Class of 2000.

Go Spartans!  MSU, Class of 1986.

>From:    Sue Dastous <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Medical Question!
>My little Tequila, 4 yr old, 1.5lb spayed ...

Top of the list is hyper adrenal disease.  Second is estrogen producing
tissue (i.e., left over ovarian remnant).

>From:    ThE wIlD aNd CrAzY vEgEtArIAn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: two tatoo, you too?
>my ferret has 2 blue dots (tatoo) on the back of her ear.  where are they
>from?  i asked the vet but she didn't know.

The dots are commonly used to signify Marshall Farms (MF) ferrets. This is
not a trademark however and some other breeders will use them to confuse the
origin of their ferrets.

>From:    Richard James <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need Vet's Help
>Dr's, Weiss, Willams, and Duton,

Local anti-inflammatory cremes (such as Topagen) can help in reducing
small/minimal prolapsed rectums.  More severe cases usually need a tie down
type of abdominal surgery.

Intestinal parasites are a common cause of prolapses and your vet should run
a fecal sample test. Look especially for coccidia. Most intestinal parasites
are microscopic so you would not see them in the stool.

Congenital or hereditary deafness is usually total and lifelong.  The few
deaf ferrets I have in my practice do fine.

The extra toe is probably not significant of any other disease.

>From:    Julia McLean Macy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ECE

ECE stands for Epizootic Catharral Enteritis. Check out the FAQ (frequently
asked questions) section for details.

>From:    Samual Lloyd Kinsey <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: spraying problem
>I am not sure what to do about one of my ferrets who seems to have a problem
>with his anal sent glands.  He is almost two years old, and about 7 months

Anal glands are two small glands located at the four and eight o clock
position as you look at the anus.  The secretions are probably related to
territory and personality marking and normally a small amount of anal gland
secretion is released onto the feces passing through the rectum.  The
secretions vary from very watery to very thick.  If the secretion is too
thick, the duct from the gland might get plugged.  As pressure builds in the
gland, the duct may become unplugged and the secretions are released.  In
times of fright, the glands can also release.

The biggest problem in a blocked gland is a secondary bacterial infection.
If your ferret does not outgrow this problem, you may need to express his
anal glands for him.

A more drastic approach is the surgical removal of the gland, but I would
reserve that only for ferrets who chronically get anal gland abscesses.
These also are the glands that may develop a tumor down the road (you will
see occasionally postings about lumps near the rectum).

>From:    "Margaret Zick (and Stan, Ollie and Jezebel)" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: cataracts
>Does anyone have any experience with cataracts in ferrets?

Cataracts are quite common in the older ferret.  Most ferrets seem to do
well with cataracts and no treatment is needed.  If the cataracts become a
problem, a veterinary ophthalmologist who can do cat cataracts should be
able to handle ferret surgery.

In a younger ferret, there is also a condition termed persistent pupillary
membrane that can appear as a cataract (that is, the pupil is gray to white
instead of black).  In humans I believe these are zapped with a laser but I
do not know of a corresponding procedure for a ferret.

Just a note concerning Fervac versus Galaxy Distemper vaccines....

1.  What is medically best and what complies with the law is at times
different.  I had responses to my post about the Massachusetts Law requiring
an approved vaccine (Fervac) and the tendency for people to want the Galaxy
due to a lower vaccine reaction rate (see William Killian s Post for Apr 6
to Apr 8).  The responses basically stated that Massachusetts is not going
to be so nit picky regarding the usage of Galaxy.

Do remember that the law is written as requiring an approved vaccine and it
is up to bureaucrats to interpret that rule, and that may change as time goes
on. I remember when ferrets became illegal in New Hampshire a few years back.
No laws were changed but the interpretation and enforcement of the law
changed.

The NH law stated that you needed a State permit to own a ferret. The Animal
Health officials, concerned about a perceived threat of ferrets going feral
and carrying rabies, stopped issuing permits and required veterinarians to
stop treating ferrets upon threat of license revocation.

So there may be a time when Massachusetts gets very hard nosed about the
literal interpetation of the law and some ferrets might get harmed.  2.
Personal experience with reaction rates.  I have used both Fervac and Galaxy
vaccines.  I vaccinate about 40 ferrets a month and have not seen a
difference between reactions or rates with either one.  WHAT DOES MAKE A
DIFFERENCE is the owner pre-medicating the ferret with Benadryl before the
appointment.  Use 1/4 ml of pediatric Benadryl elixir at least 1/2 hour
before the trip.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.