From:
Rhone D'Errico <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 23:24:34 -0700
I purchased a six-week-old male ferret from Petco on Saturday.  He was
sold to me by Erin Sabater, who posts on this list (and is who directed me
here).  I searched the archives and read her latest post (8/17/99, issue
2775, item 061184); let me tell you-everything she says is true.  I never
would have thought that I would purchase a pet from Petco (or any other
large chain).  I was only looking at the ferrets, but I noticed that they
seemed especially healthy and frisky.  The bedding was fresh and clean, as
were the water bottles and the food dishes.  On top of all that, there were
litter pans in their enclosure!  I have been to just about every exotic pet
store in Las Vegas, and this was the first time I had seen litter pans with
the ferrets for sale (usually just mounds of feces in the corners).  In
spite of myself, I was actually getting a little persuaded, especially
when I saw a beautiful little blaze with giant mitts scurrying around the
(large) enclosure, desperately trying to induce his sleeping and feeding
littermates to play.

I asked the lady in the small animal department if she could assist me in
looking at one of the ferrets, and she came over to help.  I was first
impressed by how competent she was with the critters; I was next impressed
by her obvious love for them.  I decided to go ahead and purchase the
ferret, so I began asking the questions I had learned from my research.

I was soon very glad that I had bothered to spend the last couple of
months doing that research, for I was very thoroughly grilled!  She made
certain that I understood what kind of pets ferrets make; when I told her I
already had a cage, she questioned me at length about its dimensions and
construction.  Satisfied, she then led me and my girlfriend around the
store, pointing out items we would need, with no hint of "selling;" just
concern for the animal that would soon be under my care.  She lastly gave
me a list of websites (some I already had, but a couple I didn't), as well
as telling me about this list.  I must say, having dealt with numerous pet
shop employees, she stands out.

Two questions to end my first post:
First, Erin (and/or any other Vegas ferret keepers), please send me the
names/numbers of your ferret-friendly vets.  The only vet I've been to is
Dr. Holt at Animal Kindness (because he knows/breeds hedgehogs), but he is
way on the other side of town from me.  I would like a vet closer by, both
for convenience sake, as well as for emergencies.

Second: I know this is probably a big newbie question that has been asked
and answered, but I would appreciate a little reassurance.  My ferrets BMs
are green and semi-soft (not solid and not liquid).  He has been with for
only 2 days, and is eating Ultra-Blend Select (moistened with warm water).
He is other wise healthy, playful, and eating/drinking/eliminating
normally.  Nothing to worry about?

Thank you,
Rhone D'Errico