From:
Dawn Marie Szabo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:40:19 -0700
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone ever heard or had to have done ACL surgery for
a ferret?

I just recently moved to Fredericksburg, VA (half-way between D.C. &
Richmond) so I had to find a new vet fast when my baby (MisChief) started
limping.  I went to a vet who took x-rays and believes it is a torn ACL
and PCL.  I am going on Sat to get a 2nd opinion (re: cost and options).
I had a couple of questions for anyone who may have any info.

What is the typcial price for ACL surgery?  Will my baby gain function
again with her leg (will she be able to walk and play some)?  How long
does the healing process range from?  Should I worry (because I really
am) that the vet had not done the procedure on a ferret before and also
did not know the dose needed to put her to sleep (she was going to
consult with a vet in Canada)?  Does anyone know of vets in the Northern
Virginia/D.C./Southern Maryland area that handle ferret surgeries or
specialize in ferrets (referrals are greatly appreciated)?  Also does
anyone know of anything that can be done to relieve pain or any
precautions that should be taken in the mean while (I have given my baby
her own bathroom so she is not being pushed around by the others and has
flat ground instead of a cage) (the vet gave me nothing to help her)?
Can a vet tell from the x-ray that it is a torn ACL because no tendons
show -up on the x-ray - just the gap in her knee on the hurt side is
smaller than the other side?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts anyone may have.  I just want
to have all possible information and the vet was not very helpful or
informative in this manner.

Thank you all for the helpful information!!

Dawn & the 4 furrets
(MisFit, MisChief, Mithril, & Mia)