From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:58:41 -0700
>From: Juliana Quadrozzi - FERRET BUSINESS of GA <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Unappreciative Rescues??? - Clueless Breeding - Pat Baby & Angora
>         Ferrets
>>From:    Sunshine <[log in to unmask]>
>>Anyone know why shelter's complain and when I offer support they don't
>>want it?

>I've probably been accused of the same through the years.  Let me give you
>a little incite.  Do you know how many offers I get?  Lots.  I've had at
>least a dozen in the past year just to do rescue.  Do you know how many
>of them actually followed through at all?  NONE.

I wonder whether sometimes folks don't follow through on volunteering after
getting greeted with similar responses from shelter operators.  I know if
I'd have gotten an answer like this after volunteering to help I'd have
rescinded that offer post haste.  I'll offer my insight as to why there
might be some problems.  Not all but some.

Some folks in sheltering seem to not really like people.  Thats too bad
since running a ferret shelter is such an interactive undertaking.  People
do turn in ferrets, often for reasons the shelter operator might not think
are valid BUT it is not the shelter operators "job" to make those
decisions.  If the anger at the people turning in those ferrets then gets
reflected back to other people such as those wanting to adopt or to assist
even in a small way than the shelter operator is setting himself up for a
failure mode.  Offers of assistance and adoptions might not keep up with
turn ins if it is too hard to "help".

>Then there are the people who actually do start to foster.  Do you want
>to know how long that lasts?

We still don't really support the idea of fostering for the most part.
Ferrets should get placed permanently for their own good.

We have run a successful shelter for a good number of years now.  Due to
medical problems we have had to scale back somewhat but still think our
approach to sheltering is working.  We do not aspire to be "best buddies"
with all other shelter folk as we don't like the approach a few (not to
be named) have taken and would rather be able to work with the general
population of people as they will be the people that can help us the most.

Its not psychologically helpful to oneself to hate people.  The vast
majority of people are NOT abusive evil animal haters.  There are a few
that can inflict quite a bit of damage but it is far healthier to like your
own kind.  Hate destroys love.  If you hate yourself you can't love others.
If you hate people in general it seems related to hating oneself.  And I
feel that if you hate people you can't truly love animals.

>I'm sorry this is a little harsh, but it really struck a nerve w/me.

I feel it was very harsh and misdirected.  When I see a problem I try to
figure out what is really the root of the problem.  I don't think the
problem is with "everybody else" most of the time when it seems to be me
against the world.  I try to figure out how to work with the world rather
than always be fighting it.  There is a reason for the name Diane and I
have chosen for our ferret involvements after all.

-bill
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets