Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:18:37 -0500
Hi to all,
I live in Arkansas, and there aren't many ferret knowlegable people here.
I went into a local feed store, because sometimes they have ferrets, that's
where I got my last two.  This time there were two babies, one male and one
female (both about 10-12 weeks, I think) in a rabbit cage.  They had no
food, no litter box and very little water.  The doors are open to the store
and its 85 degrees today.  We held them and played with them.  They both
bite and have long nails.  I wanted them, but dear hubby says I can't have
more until we move (back to Texas, yea!).  I told the owner that they had
no food.  He replied that they had already been fed today and they had
scarfed it up.  I told him that ferrets were to have a constant supply of
food available at all times.  This reply was "I know" and he walked away.
Even if I found a way to buy these two, he'll get more and they'll be in
the same situation.  He won't tell me who the breeder is.  I was so angry
when I left.  He offered me them both for $150.  He also had dogs and
birds.  With pretty much the same situation, but they had food.  He has
complained that the ferrets he gets are biters.  No wonder!  They are just
hungry.  I'm sure being poked at doesn't help.  These two didn't act like
anyone had ever held them before.  We came home with bites and scratches
from the two babies, but we still want to help them.  I don't know if you
remember, but I had the problem biter, Chisai.  He is from that same store.
I bought him for the same reasons as these two.  The man said then that
he wasn't going to sell them anymore.  What authorities can I call?  This
town has maybe 10,000 people in it and its a rural town.  The local animal
shelter does not take in anything but cats and dogs and is so full they
routinely kill 30 animals a week, and will tell you that if you have a dog
loose to shoot it.  So, they are not a help in this situation.  I have
looked in the Arkansas phone book and there isn't any listing for anything
ot do with animals....

Anyone have suggestions?
Sorry for the book, but I don't know where else to turn.

Paula and the fuzzy four

"Where there is love there is life."
- Mahatma Gandhi