From:
Darla Sharp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 1995 17:11:07 -0700
Hello All, you might remember that I was the one who posted here inquiring
about ferrets and parrots and children too.  Well, an acquaintance who knows
I have a real soft spot for animals put me in the position of rescuing a
ferret.  I went to see the ferret that was supposedly so loved by its family
and found a little male who weighs about 1 lb., if that, who was covered in
flea dirt and the fleas to go with that dirt, stunk to high heaven etc.

Needless to say, I happily removed him from the awful condition he was
being kept in.  I think he is a white footed sable.  He is very thin
and looks a bit like a possum (!) to me.  His face is very pointed---I
am hoping he will fill in a bit.

I bought some Iams dry kitten food and I found some Kaytee ferret food.
I am currently giving him half servings of each.  Is this food okay?  Any
recommendations?

I borrowed a large rabbit cage until I can find something more suitable.
(He was given to me in a 12x15 cage with no tray and a door that no
litter pan could fit in, the cage was covered with feces, even on the
food bowl!)

I got him a nice sheepskin lined hammock which he seems to really enjoy.
I got him a litter pan and cut out one side and filled with that pine
litter I read about on FML.  He has used it about 2/3 of the time -- is
there hope for him being trained??  I also put some untreated plywood so
he would have a nice surface to walk on instead of all wire cage bottom.
Got him some Linatone, so far no interest.  Also nix on the raisins.  He
has been sleeping an average of 18+ hours a day since I brought him home.
I am thinking that maybe he is just recuperating, but I don't know enough
about these little guys to tell.  I am looking for a ferret friendly vet
here and I will keep you all posted.

So much for waiting until it was legal...

Darla and the Napper (current name, may change)