From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:52:56 -0500
Addendum for those who are on web tv who just wrote and asked for
certain zoo abstracts (two from yesterday's refs):

> J Zoo Wildl Med. 2002 Mar;33(1):83-4.
>
>Positive effects of diet change on shedding of Salmonella spp. in the
>feces of captive felids.
>
>Lewis CE, Bemis DA, Ramsay EC. Department of Comparative Medicine,
>College of Veterinary Medicine, Knoxville, Tennessee 37901-1071, USA.
>
>A high prevalence of fecal Salmonella shedding in a collection of
>healthy exotic felids precipitated a change to two new commercially
>available feline diets. One year after initiation of the new diets,
>18 fecal samples from individual felines, their exhibits, and
>representative samples of the diets were cultured for Salmonella spp.
>Only one culture grew a Salmonella sp. Salmonella uganda was cultured
>from the feces of one snow leopard (Felis uncia). Feeding a diet with
>minimal to no Salmonella contamination lowered Salmonella shedding
>rates in this collection of captive exotic felids.
>PMID: 12216800

>J Wildl Dis. 2001 Jul;37(3):617-20.
>
>Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli infection in captive black-footed
>ferrets.
>
>Bradley GA, Orr K, Reggiardo C, Glock RD.
>Department of Veterinary Science and Microbiology, The University
>of Arizona, Tucson 85705, USA. [log in to unmask]
>
>Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli with genes for heat stabile toxins
>Sta and STb was isolated from the gastrointestinal tract and multiple
>visceral organs of three adult and three juvenile black- footed
>ferrets (Mustela nigripes) that died in a captive breeding colony
>between 24 May 1998 and 2 July 1998. Similar isolates were obtained
>from rectal swabs of one adult and one juvenile that were clinically
>ill. All were fed a diet composed of mink chow, raw rabbit meat, beef
>liver powder, blood meal and lard. Escherichia coli of the same toxin
>genotype was isolated from the mixed ration. Clinical signs included
>sudden death, dehydration, anorexia and diarrhea. Necropsy lesions
>included acute enteritis with large numbers of rod shaped bacteria
>microscopically visible on intestinal villi.

Suggestion to see the rest if you later decide you want them, too: your
local library can help you. I am glad that some people actually bother
to read references instead of just asking for them. You made my day!

Sukie (not a vet)
Reminder:  THE FERRET HEALTH LIST IS MOVING.
To join, click on the joining link at

directions.

OR just send a blank mail to the automated joining address:
[log in to unmask] and then follow the directions.

Recommended ferret health links: