From:
Joanie Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 16:51:47 -0700
Saturday we picked up ferret #36.  The lady said the ferret was taken out of
its cage maybe once a week (I don't believe it) but usually was only held
for a little while.  (This part I believe, as he is not litter box trained.
But daughter had lost interest in him, son "hated" him.) His cage was small
with a wire floor.  No litter pan, waste fell through to tray below which
was filled with cedar shavings.  This guy is a beautiful white (tho hair
falling out) with large black eyes and a black nose - 4 to 5 yrs.  old.  He
was very lethargic, and we went straight to our vet with him.  Findings:
fever of unknown origin, enlarged spleen, suspected adrenal diesease,
swollen purplish drippy penis - suspected cystic prostate, severe case of
ear mites, cataracts in both eyes - ulcer in one, bulgy stomach and weak
hindquarters.  For now this poor little guy (haven't named him yet, don't
like the one he had and he didn't know it anyway) is on antibiotic and eye
ointment.  He has a large new cage with linolium floor and soft blankets and
healthy diet.  Uses the litter box already.  Keeping him isolated from the
others in our living/dining room areas where he is free to roam much of the
day.  He is enjoying tottering around - doesn't seem to know how to do
anything else.

Just want to say that neglect is abuse.  If you new ferret owners decide
that your pet is not right for you - maybe you can't get used to the "smell"
or the fact that he does not use his litter pan 100% of the time, or
whatever - PLEASE don't hesitate to find a new - good - home for him or take
him to a reputable shelter.  If you find yourself leaving him locked up in
his cage for days at a time, you had better re-think your choice to keep a
ferret.  If you cannot take him out daily for attention and play, and do not
want to spend the money on check-ups at the vet, you are guilty of the abuse
of neglect.  Don't think you are doing him a favor by not giving him up.  We
have seen this so many times, where the poor animal suffers for years
because the owner "just couldn't part with him" before he is finally
delivered to a happy life.  There is no excuse for keeping an animal that
you cannot or do not want to take care of.

Stacey - whenever the ferret's poop changes like that for more than a day or
two, it is definitely something your vet should look into, without
hesitation.  When you take Maggie for her vaccinations, please be sure to
tell him about it.

Andrea - too bad that Oliver was so affected by the new baby.  I'll bet he
would have eventually accepted and then really liked him, but I can
understand your concern about his emotional welfare.  All ferrets have their
own personalities, and you must treat each one and each situation
individually.  Don't feel badly about not keeping the baby - at least you
gave it a try, and you did what you thought was best for Oliver.  No one can
fault you for that!  About his gagging: it could possibly be a reaction to
the chemicals in the fabric softener.  I always use unscented detergent on
their bedding - and as little as possible so that it all gets rinsed out -
and never use any softeners.  He could also be choking on a bit of fur.  My
Odie used to do that occasionally, and I always gave him a bit of Laxatone
then.  Odie was known for having the fur ball problem tho, as I would see it
in his droppings.  In Oliver's case, I would bet it's due to the perfume or
chemicals in your fabric softener.

Best wishes to all with sick babies.  Joanie at Ferret Haven