From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 1995 10:12:46 -0400
Laural,

Just a few suggestions if I might.  The toilet paper roll can be dangerous
to ferrets (as can wrapping paper rolls ect.) Anything large enough for them
to get their head in, but not their body.  We found out the hard way,
finding one of our ferrets on two occasions (a different one each time) with
his head stuck in the tube, in a state of shock, bleeding from lacerations
on the tongue and mouth, barely breathing.  At our house the rule is that
all such tubes get ripped lengthwise before disposal.

The diarrhea that you discribed is likely from the change in food.  When we
change foods we do so very gradually.  I'd strongly suggest not putting
ferretone directly on the food if you plan to leave it out more than a few
hours.  It does tend to make the food rancid and, from what I've been told
by people who've raised ferrets a lot longer then me, breeds bacteria.

Kelleen,
We went through the same problem with couches - ferret restrooms.  Futons
work great; and double as a spare bed if you ever have people visiting
overnight.  Cost a little less than a couch too and the covers are washable.

Someone asked about "malnourished" ferrets.  If you do have a thin ferret
that doesn't seem to gain weight, you might have your vet examine a stool
sample for signs of round worm.  Easy to treat, but will really do a number
on a ferret if not treated.

Andre,
RE: Ferret teeth cleaning.  Trying to scrape a squirming ferret's teeth can
lead to injury to the ferret's gums and even infection.  There are
substances out there that are supposed to make the cleaning easier, but I've
never tried them on ours.  If they eat a constant diet of the hard kitten
food, and an occasional tiny dog bisquet for a treat, it seems to lessen the
tartar buildup, but you may have to just fork over the money at some point
and have the teeth cleaned before they develop a gum disease or abcess.

Dick B.