From:
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 11:49:07 -0800
>From:    Ron Carter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: The Benefit(s) of Vasectomized Ferrets
>Right now they really stink, do vasecetomized ferrets still go into rut,
>and do they still secrete the extra oils?

Emphatically, yes.  All they will be lacking is usable sperm.

If you are not a breeder (though possibly shelters could think about it),
do NOT vasectimize your hobs, get them neutered.  And get your jills
spayed.

>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Are Vasectors* as appropriate for home pets as are neuterd
>         ferrets?

Only if you really like stinky hobs.  Dirt alone won't stop the smell.

Whole or vesectomized hobs really really really stink.  Ann from Hillcrest
Ferrets is just now learning that I am not exaggerating.  It is NOT just a
bit more potent of the same ferret smell.  Its is terrible.  Anyone who is
familiar with billy goats (bucks) knows what I mean too.

Ann, care to comment on your boy?

Stink, stank, stunk.

They use urine as cologne.  They piddle on everything.  Yes, everything
including you.

They will be far more aggressice with other ferrets (we too have a few hobs
that can stay together through rut but they are still the exception) but
not with people.  The stinky boys will insist on marking you as theirs.
Yes by peeing on you.

Neuter the poor boy sif you aren't planning on using them as part of a
breeding program.  Emergency found jills in rut shoudl get shots instead
of tossed in with a male anyway.  Tossing a very in season jill with a hob
is not exactly keeping new founds somewhat quarratined.

>From:    Deborah Adams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret fur on e-bay

There are (or at least were) fitch farms in Russia.  Ferrets raised
for fur the same way mink are.

Wild trapped would be polecats though.

bill
--