From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:31:19 -0400
One thing I haven't seen mentioned (and if it has, it can't be
mentioned too much) is to SECURE your carriers or cages. This includes
even short visits to the vet. Carriers can be secured on the front or
back seat with either seat belts or bungee cords. If you have an SUV,
most have hooks in the rear floor that you can use to secure a cage or
carrier with a bungee cord. It's kind of a pain until you figure out
the best way to secure them, but well worth your time. A small animal
can be killed by being flung around even inside a cage or carrier.

Also, I want to reiterate that is is very dangerous to let ANY animal
free-roam in your car. Secure dogs behind one of those barriers you use
in an SUV. Or use a seat belt, a strap you attach to your car seat belt
and hook onto your dog's harness. Either works. You don't want any of
your animals being flung from the car or into the windshield.

Your animals are your responsibility. It is up to you to protect them.
Any distraction can cause an accident. If your pets are secured, you
can concentrate fully on your driving.

Katharine