From:
JMYSHARONA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 18:29:27 EDT
1st) $$ for unwanted ferrets: If they are given away free of charge or for a
minimal fee there is a very good risk that the ferret will be resold as
either a pet or a lab animal.

2nd) I know of no breeder/shelter who breeds the shelter ferrets it their
care.  Just because they combine the tasks it doesn't mean they combine the
ferrets.  I think this implication was a misunderstanding of the phrase
breeder/shelter.

3rd) No a/c: Cool the house at night with fans in the windows, close the
windows and curtains before the air heats during the day.  If you have a
basement, place a fan at the bottom and top of the steps to draw up the
cooler air, take the ferrets down on especially hot days.  Give ferrets a
"swimming pool".  Cool water in a spray bottle set on a fine mist.  Ice
packs work great.  Fans are good but don't set them to blow directly on the
ferrets.  Beware of any small area where ventilation is poor, such as boxes,
bags and especially the plastic dryer hoses, heat builds quickly in these
areas.  Be careful where your ferret naps.  Older ferrets are more prone to
the heat than younger ferrets.  Heavier ferrets are also more prone.  "Cool"
type material for bedding, I use satin type sheets and slips.  Remember, if
the heat is almost uncomfortable for you, it's definately uncomfortable for
them.  Speak with your vet about the signs of heat exaustion and stroke and
what to do if it occurs.

4th) In my opinion there is NOT an overpopulation problem with ferrets.
There IS an overpopulation problem with uneducated purchasers and uncaring
pet shops.

Ca-Ching!
SP