From:
Sandy Repper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:31:56 EDT
>To anyone considering buying more pet store babies, I have only one thing
>to say: Call your shelter!!!  ADOPT!  ADOPT!  ADOPT!!!!!

I really hate to point out the obvious, but where do you think most of the
shelter babies come from out there.  Pet stores, that's right.  Now, I'm
not saying don't adopt, since all of my babies are adopted, but most
originally came from pet stores.  One is 6 and looks great, two are 5,
fat and sassy, and one is 4 and acts one.  Granted one has had problems,
but that is diet related.  BTW, that's the youngest one.

I bought two babies at the pet store.  Quite a few of us have done that.
Those were two of my favorite ferts, they're all favorites, of course.  I
bonded very closely with them, and both lived fairly long lives.  It's
never long enough.  I'm afraid that the ferret lifespan is 6 - 10 years.
Most living to be 7 or 8.  That's an improvement over their wild cousins,
whose lifespan is 14 months.  The lifespan is dependent on many things,
health care, diet, environment, and just plain luck.  Despite what most
repeat, pet store ferrets, if given a good life, can live as long as
private bred ferts.

Sandy and the Dook City Gang
Tempus Fuzzit
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=kathouze