From:
FerretMomJC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2010 19:08:59 -0800
I will preface this post by saying this is a request for financial
assistance. I'd like to make it clear, however, that we come to the
ferret community having already paid $1000 for a diagnosis & a
procedure 1 yr ago and having raised $1550 of the necessary $2000 for
Zeus's upcoming surgery. These funds were raised through the hard work
of many people - bake sales, used book sales, raffles and even "Lunch
with Zeus".

We do realize this is a LOT of money to spend on a single ferret -
But after coming to the shelter as a stray, weighing only 1.5lbs,
discovering an unusually well hidden foreign body in his esophagus,
finding one of very few vets in the US with small enough endoscopic
tools to remove that foreign body, feeding Zeus watered down chicken
baby food every 3-4 hours for close to a year, bringing him up to a
handsome 3 lb weight.............How could we possibly turn our back
on him now that he has developed scar tissue (strictures) from that
foreign body? We simply can't. Please read on for Zeus's story........

Zeus came to The Ferret Haven as a stray, found in a grassy field
behind an upscale Louisville, KY mall. He was a handsome, although very
thin and sickly, Sable Blaze boy (who can hear) and who clearly needed
some groceries!

Zeus had trouble eating - he pawed at his mouth, vomited regularly and
was clearly in distress. X-rays showed nothing. Food did pass through
and this did not present itself as an intestinal foreign body. That's
because Zeus's foreign body was in his esophagus (and composed of
material that didn't show on x-ray). Visualize 2 pieces of a rubber
toy, tubular in shape, lodging themselves tight against the walls of
the esophagus, allowing food to pass, but only small bits at a time,
and all the while particles of food wedged underneath,
eroding/ulcerating the lining of the tissue covered by the rubber.

Once the foreign body was discovered, the hunt began for a vet who
worked with ferrets and had small enough endoscopic tools to reach the
obstruction. We found one in Maryland, one in Colorado, and what were
the chances?........one in Versailles, KY!! After 1 hour and somehow
the breaking of the vet's $6,000 endoscopic tool, (whew, they had
insurance on their tools!) the obstruction was removed as a cheer went
up in the surgical suite! The vet sent Zeus home with a warning that
in the future, "strictures" would likely develop, once again causing
problems swallowing. That future came 1 year later.

Foster Mom Angela, had been feeding Zeus a mush of whole cooked
chicken, blended and mixed with supplements added to the protein for
several months, later having to move to feeding a smoother textured,
watered down chicken baby food from a jar every 3-4 hrs around the
clock. 3 jars/day, $2.67/day, $80/month and giving up any thoughts of a
full nights sleep for months for as long as it was needed. I could not
have asked for a more dedicated foster mom, giving so much of herself
for such a long time! (She is now called Zeus's "forever foster mom".)

Zeus will be going to the University of TN School of Veterinary
Medicine for a 2-part procedure on Nov 30/Dec 1 where he will have
barium swallow tests done and a balloon will be used to push back the
strictures which are blocking his esophagus. We are very fortunate that
this hospital not only has the right tools for the job, but the vet
taking the case has actually performed the procedure on ferrets before!
The quoted price was $2,000. We have raised $1550 & our thrifty 2-night
hotel stay (Priceline.com $44/night) has been paid for in advance. We
are trying yet to raise the last $450 and gas money. Two people will be
taking off 3 days work to make this trip. Zeus WILL have his surgery
regardless, it's just a matter of whether or not the shelter must incur
debt in order to do so and I will admit, we try to avoid debt like the
plague as it can have such a snowball effect!!

If you would care to support Zeus by check or PayPal, you can do so at
the addresses below. We will also be happy to send all donors a picture
of Zeus and updates as to his progress via e-mail.

PayPal: [log in to unmask]

Checks Payable to:
The Ferret Haven
4132 Morgan Jaymes Drive
Louisville, KY 40299

We thank you for your support - whether monetary or thoughts/prayers
for Zeus!!

Jerri Carel
The Ferret Haven
Louisville, KY