Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 20:43:23 -0500
For all you out there in Michigan who love anything remotely to do with
ferrets and their kin:
From Feb.  20, Friday to March 1, Sunday the Michigan United Conservation
Club will host Outdoorama (sport and travel show) at the Novi Expo Center in
Novi, MI (SE MI).  They are announcing on the radio that they will have live
WOLVERINES at their MUCC display.  They are affliliated with alot of
wildlife rehabs and I'm sure this is were the wolvies are coming from.  A
good opportunity to see a ferret relative upclose!  $6.50 for adults +
parking.  $3 children 12 and under, children under five free.  Wolverines
are the largest of the weasel klan.

Speaking of weasels...a friend of mine's dog cornered a least weasel in
their backyard one day late in 1996 and I was asked to come over and see if
it was a ferret (they didn't know it was a least at the time).  I got a real
close look at that little critter.  It did have the body shape of a ferret
but teeny-tiny it was!  Top part of body was brown and the underbelly white.
I took it some Totally Ferret which it ferreted right away.  Aggressive
little squirt, too.  It had a wolverine mentality!  Approximately 5 and
one-half inches long.  I suggested they let it go as it was listed in the
Peterson Field Guide MAMMALS as being RARE throughout it's range in North
America.  It is also listed as the smallest living carnivore.  I was glad I
got to see it up close, though.  The people did get rid of it, they said
they gave it to someone :-( , only after it latched on to the keeper one
real good when it's cage was cleaned.  I hope it made it back to the wild.
The brown coat w/white underbelly is its summer color and the white (ermine)
is its winter color.

--

     (*)_(*)     Suzanne and furkids Cocoa, Fuzzy,
  / @ @\  \      Peanut, Cookie and Elmo