From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 22:42:04 -0500
>>What can anyone tell me about jaundice in ferrets?...

Jaundice the clinical symptom of too much bilirubin in the serum. The main
source of bilirubin the metabolism of heme, which is from red blood cells.
The body's bilirubin is maintained the balancing the production of bilirubin
versus its metabolism and excretion (via a liver pathway).

So jaundice can be caused primarily by one of two things.  The increased
destruction of red blood cells or by the lack of metabolism/excretion
through the liver.

I do not know of a common disease that routinely causes jaundice but I would
strongly put one of two things on the list.  Either an immune mediated red
blood cell destruction (easily checked by a PCV) or a liver tumor (I would
recommend your vet x-ray/ultrasound to check for hepatomegaly and if
suspicious, do a fine needle aspirate and cytology.  Mention to the vet that
hemangiosarcoma is possible.).  If the vet can get the blood, run a profile
also.  Check for bilirubin in the urine also.

The diagnostic algorithm for causes of jaundice is pretty straight forward
and most, if not all, can be accomplished in a well equipped animal
hospital.  As always, aggressive supportive care (incubator, force feeding,
fluids - tread lightly if anemic) is warranted.

I hope this helps a little.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
603 529-4999
Weare Animal Hospital