From:
William Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 02:44:33 -0500
>From:    Brenda Bresloff <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Fervac-D a killer
>There are quite a large number of ferret owners who would dispute that 2%
>figure.

You are right.  With well over a thousand shots then we should have
expected some 20 reactions and have had instead zero.  Two per cent
seems much too high by our experiences.

See the problem with anecdotal evidence like this is those most upset
rightfully because they had problems don't always know about the thousands
that have no problems.  You have to add up all the experiences to get an
accurate assessment.

We agree that the number of reported reactions seems troublingly high but
we do not consider this life saving vaccine a killer.

>Why does a reaction rate increase as the ferret ages?

That is true with all vaccine reactions.  There can not be an allergic
reaction to the first exposure.  Allergies develop.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets