From:
Wolf & Silven Read <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:13:40 EDT
Hello all,

I wrote an article that included information about the Kit & Caboodle sale
for the Pacific Ferret Shelter Network Newsletter months ago.  The great
breeding debate aside, what was that saying about getting to know someone
before you make judgements about them?

I met the Coles at the Inland Northwest Ferret Show in Spokane this past
July.  They seemed like very responsible, knowledgable folks.  Cristine
Mathis of M&P Ferretry (and the Oregon Ferret Shelter), someone who's been
around fuzzies for well over a decade, spent quite some time talking to
them, and came away feeling like they were quite capable.  I'm pretty sure
the Coles have been around ferrets longer than a year, maybe more like 3-5,
and I'm equally sure they know about things like ECE and ADV.  And, in the
least, they seemed to have the energy, enthusiasm, and organization to
handle a large breedership.

Some of the postings I've just read about Kit and Caboodle appear to be
more the product of gut emotion than careful thought.  If the Coles haven't
been too responsive over e-mail, then one must consider how busy they must
be in caring for so many ferrets.  Maybe give 'em a quick call, or drop by
for a visit.  If you're that worried about it, it seems that's going to be
the only way to allay your concern.  Spreading rumor certainly won't solve
much.

Lastly, donation (say to the ADV fund) requires either time or cash, or
both.  If you're barely hanging in the positive financially, it'd be stupid
to donate and drop down the debt precipice.  Maybe the Coles don't have
much of either right now for reasons cited above (after all, they _bought_
out Two Pole), and so I don't see how this enters into much of anything.

-best,

Wolf Read
Jaxom, Kasumi, Nabiki, Piemur, & Ripley