From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:08:52 -0500
Kristen - It sounds like your little one is inviting you to play.  When
ferrets play with each other they grab with their mouths, tug, roll, and
tackle.  It is their way of playing.  Unfortunately, our skin is much softer
than theirs and what doesn't hurt another ferret, may hurt us.  If this is a
play behavior you won't want to discourage it completely.  You will want to
teach him to soften his bite.  Around our home when someone nips me too
hard, I gently hold their bottom jaw by sliding my finger through the side
of their mouth or front and my thumb is on the bottom of their jaw.  At the
same time I say "no bite".  My hold is very gentle as it is more of an
annoyance to the ferret.  This works very well for us as the next time they
nip it is much more gentle.  You may want to check his little mouth and see
if he is teething too.

Kits like to play.  Maybe try more playing - put a paper grocery sack on the
floor and let him get in.  Wiggle the side of the bag and watch him dart
out. :-)  When he gets back in, slide your hand under the bag and scratch
the bag with your fingers.  Chase him around the house, stop and let him
chase you but not quite catch you.  They learn this game quickly.  A feather
or ferret safe toy on a stick type toy is lots of fun too.  And don't forget
the tubes.  The favorite at our house is the black corrugated drain tubes
(about 17 cents a foot).  They make a neat noise when the ferret runs
through and you can be waiting at the other end.  One of my all time
favorites with kits is to wait around a corner and when they pass by... jump
out and say "Boo". :-)  It's still a favorite with the older ferrets but the
facial expressions on the babies are priceless (so are the feet running in
place ;-)).

Once you have him worn out, then you can hold and cuddle him as he drifts
off to sleep.  Ahhhh....

Also to make picking up an enjoyable experience always have a
linatone/ferretone bottle close at hand.  A drop or two each time you pick
up the ferret will be well remembered.  Ferretvite, Nutrical or other treats
can be used as well.  Just remember to not to give too much.

Corrie - Note above and Sometimes when an environment changes the ferret may
express it's feelings (stress, fear, pain, etc) by biting.  Your mother may
want to contact the shelter person to find out if the ferret behaved the
same way when it first came into the shelter.  Other considerations - fleas,
earmites, smoking (did the ferret go from a non-smoking to smoking
environment), different bedding, litter, food, schedule and the list goes
on.  Could the ferret be deaf?  Was the ferret with another ferret at the
shelter?  If so this may be part of the problem as well.  Also it may be a
"test".  The ferret may be seeing just how far it can go.  There are so many
reasons for biting.  We first need to determine why and then form a plan for
behavior modification.  Please let me know if I can help.

My condolences to those who have lost a loved one.
Hugs to all.  tle