From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1992 23:37:39 -0400
> Date:  Wed, 8 Jul 1992 09:17:50 -0400
> From:  Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
>
> (a) How old is your ferret? If he's teething, he might be in pain. This
> might cause a sudden change in behavior. I'd spray bitter apple on my
> hands (and then let it dry) before handling him. If it's just a behavior
> thing, this should help.

The vet figures Buddy is at least a year old, maybe a little more. He's only
bitten my hands (my thumb, actually) once. The other times he got my nose and
ear, and this morning my chin. He licks my hands alot though (as well as my
feet and legs, or anything else in reach). This is so cute, I'd hate to dis-
courage it.

> (b) If he's not teething, I'd be concerned that something is wrong with
> him. I don't think it's typical for any animal to have sudden changes in
> behavior. He might be sick, in pain from something, have a brain tumor,
> etc. When was the last time he was at the vet's? Does he flinch when you
> touch him any particular place?

He had a complete checkup on May 13th. The vet said he was in fine health.
He doesn't currently seem to be in any pain, and doesn't seem tender anywhere.
I'll certainly give the vet another call about it, though.

> If they're in pain or upset, sometimes
> mine make an unusual "chittering" sound -- almost like a throaty
> R-R-R-R-R The time Skittles caught her toenail in a loop of a terrycloth
> towel, she did that.

Buddy once caught his paw in his cage door (over a month ago), and he fairly
screamed! You could certainly tell he was in pain (poor guy). Other than the
biting, his behavior seems normal. He's usually inquisitive, sometimes play-
ful, and when he's feeling frisky he starts hopping around in front of me
like crazy (doing the ferret dance?) and making a cute chuckling noise (he
only makes noise when he's very excited). He got me again this morning, by
the way. I was holding him and petting him, and speaking soothingly, and he
bit me on the chin (only bled a little this time; this makes the 4th hard bite;
he got me on the nose, thumb, and ear before). Could it be that he's just
being affectionate? I understand that ferrets are often quite rough when
playing with each other, and that the males are quite rough when, ahem, they
show affection to the females (I hope Buddy doesn't think I'm a female ferret!
;). If the vet says Buddy's ok, I guess I'll just have to keep disciplining
him (and going through lots of band-aids :) till he get's the idea that
biting is a no-no.

John Rosloot, computer technician
University of Regina; Regina, Sask, Canada