From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:25:33 EDT
I've been wondering about eye contact behavior in ferrets and if its
something worth examining.  Of my five ferrets... the alpha male will NOT
look at us for anything in the world.  He likes to be held, played with,
and to socialize with us a lot...... but goodness do not look him in the
eye.  The lowest in the social order is the opposite.  Rocky will stare
at us, and even let sean talk and stare into his eyes for extremely
looooooong periods of time.  Of my neighbors ferrets, her two males who've
been abused (they are rescues), will not look you in the eye.  Her female
who has a past history of neglect but is adjusted will look at you to a
degree.  There is no current alpha there..  they are all contending for
the position still.

What is everyones take with this?  Is this a personality thing or a ferret
behavior for some other social reason?

Wolfy
Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on deafness and ferrets:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/deaf.html
take a peek at upcomming "so you have allergies":
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/allergies.html