From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:55:17 -0500
The message from Alaska emphasizes that we are now getting into the range of
states which haven't, yet, looked at the Compendium or considered related
changes.  Since we NEED these folks at the ALL of our own
health/agriculture/other ferret health policy departments on our sides BE
POLITE, but, pleaase, DO try to educate your policy makers about the '98
Compendium so that ferrets' lives will be saved.

Elizabeth A. Funk MD, MPH, Section of Epidemiiology, Division of Public
Health, State of Alaska Department of Health and Social Services, 3601 "C"
Street, Suite 540, P.O. Box 240249, Anchorage, Alaska 99524-0249, (907)
269-8000, fax 562-7802; excerpt:

"Recommendations about State of Alaska rabies policy are made by the State
Epidemiologist with involvement of the Division of Public Health infectious
disease program.  Currently, the state epidemiologist is Dr. John Middaugh.
The Division of Public Health usually adopts the most current Compendium
of Animal Rabies Control as current rabies policy, but as the 1998
recommendations have not yet been reviewed, I can not tell you whether these
recommendations will be adopted by the State of Alaska."

Yesterday I mentioned that we'd heard earlier from Illinois residents that
IL is going with the Compendium, but that I was waiting for the formal
letter, but in the middle of the night I came awake with a start realizing
that I wasn't sure that I hadn't confused IL with another state, so looked
at my notes about states reported by residents and could not IL there, so
either it was reported at one point but I forgot to note it down, or (more
likely) my memory played a trick on me.  Hopefully, that will teach me to
not go off-the-cuff on these... <G>

Yesterday one Nebraska official told Diane Rogers that they are complying
immediately with the new Compendium; to day another one told her that they
no longer have my letter so can't reply again till they get one, but far,
far WORSE -- that they don't have a copy of the '98 Compendium.  All I've
gotten from them is old material.  Have to send more stuff out ASAP again.

Sukie