From:
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 19:46:54 EDT
Re:  Ferret Fund
Thank your for bringing this up again, Cheryl!  I think it would be a very
worthwhile project, and I would be happy to contribute to it.  My idea of a
good setup for it would be for the money to be held in escrow by a
disinterested party (like a bank), and decisions to lend/grant the money
would be made by a committee of FML members.  Conditions would be spelled
out for the repayment of the money in the event of the loan.  Does that
sound workable?

To Scooter/Buns' Mom
I have a ferret/rabbit combination, too.  My rabbit, Waldorph, grew up with
a ferret named Fred.  They were good friends, and could be trusted together
with supervision.  Sometimes Fred would get a bit too frisky for Wally's
taste, and Wally would put him in his place.  It was funny to watch; Wally
would WHIRL around, growl at Fred, and LUNGE towards him.  He always stopped
short of actually touching or hitting Fred, however ... it was clear that he
didn't want to hurt him.

Fred passed away last year (congestive heart failure), and I now have
Scooter and Paddington.  Scooter grew up with Waldorph around, and has a
healthy respect for him.  Wally is an "old man" at six and a half years old,
but is still more than willing to lunge at Scooter and put him in his place!
They can be trusted together with supervision.

Then there is Paddington, who was adopted through the FML.  He was an adult
when I got him (the vet thinks he is about three years old now), and he has
a little less respect for Wally than I would like.  He doesn't try to hunt
Wally, but he does like to pull on Wally's ears and stick his nose into
Wally's ears and exhale (why ... I don't know.  He's a ferret.)  They are
generally not allowed out together at all.  Luckily, both of my ferrets
sleep about 17 hours a day, so this isn't a problem.  Wally runs around,
sits on my feet, and does other bunny things while they are sleeping.

Take care, everybody!

- Ela, Waldorph, Scooter and Paddington Bear