From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:04:55 -0800
Sorry, this response is late due to the fact that it takes so long for
me to get the "over the size limit" message which means reposting in two
parts in order to get the post through.

>Sandi Ackerman wrote: First Danielle Frye is not connected to any of the
>established ferret shelters here in Washington state.  (While she may not
>be directly stating that, there seems to be numerous implications in many
>of her posts that she is "connected" to shelters here.  It's possibly
>shelters in other states that she's referring to.) By established; I mean
>those of us with a business license and an existing 501(c)(3) that have
>been in the ferret rescue business for numerous years.  There is one
>unlicensed "shelter" who operates out of an apartment here in Seattle,
>perhaps that is her connection with "shelters".

This is too funny!  Sandi NEVER speaks with me and I prefer it that way.
I have nothing to do with her or any of her cronies.  I do wonder how it
is that she is stating that I have nothing to do with shelters here in
Washington?  Wow, are you spying on me?  You have no idea of what I do,
obviously.  You are stating "implications" which is the same as stating
your "perceptions" (which are WAY OFF).  I have no knowledge of anyone who
calls themselves a shelter and lives in an apartment.  Who is that, maybe
I can help them also?  I do plenty for ferrets and shelters, as well as
trying to change things at the farm level.  I am helping out with the
symposium and I also write articles.  Now I am taking to task, what others
have only paid lip-service to.  Since I cannot run a shelter, the right
way (no room in my home and no money to open up a seperate facility) and
I refuse to run one out of my garage, I have to resort to helping other
shelters, doing some rescue and fostering and educating petstore employees
plus sending monetary donations when possible.  Ferrets are not the only
thing I am passionate about.  I also am involved with SAFE schools of
Washington which is a group that works towards abolishing
prejudice/intolerance in schools.  It is about diversity.  Yes, I am
stretched to the limits, but I contribute to society as much as I can.  I
want my life to have some meaning.  I like humans and animals.  If that
is a problem for you and you are going to continually pick me apart, I
caution you.  It is not wise for someone who lives in a glass house, to
throw stones.

>I don't see anything "preposterous" in the fact that their are numerous
>MF "fakes" running around the Pacific North West.  Unlike Danielle's
>experience, the PETCO stores we are in contact with are aware that there
>*may* be some problems with the source of their ferrets and seem not to
>care.  Except for the occasional posts from one FMLer's who claim there's
>a problem, that MF is trying to fix, I'm not sure that I care either
>whether or not they are "fakes." They are all ferrets in need.

Yup.  All ferrets need and deserve love and care.  That statement was just
PART of my post.  Are the Petcos you are dealing with the same ones who
wont allow certain people into their stores due to previous problems?
Have you spoken with the District Manager, Jim B?  In addition, I recall
you complaining at a WFA meeting that you are seeing too many MF ferrets
coming into your shelter.  At this meeting, you said NOTHING regarding
your notion that many are "fakes".

>MF sells through numerous distributors, and when PETCO orders through a
>distributor, and they do for a variety of reasons, PETCO is told that they
>are purchasing MF ferrets, they are given a bill of sale and a legal right
>to those ferrets.  They feel, and I agree, it's not up to them to police
>the USDA licensed animal dealers.  As far as the PETCO District managers
>know, MF has never contacted them to indicate that there may be a
>problem.

I agree, MF has never contacted the DM I know about "fakes".  Petco gets
the orginal paperwork from MF including the yellow guarantee card.  These
are not "fakes".  I have been in almost every Petco in Washington and the
ones I have not been in, I have talked to the Managers over the phone.
There has not been a manager who has indicated that they don't believe
these are MF ferrets and MF has clarified that they sell to Petco.  The
only "middle man" involved is the transport company that picks up the
ferrets from the airport and delivers them to Petco.  They are NOT a
distributor.  The crates have not been opened prior to reaching the
stores, so don't even start with the whole "switching" theory.

>Surrendered ferrets: We frequently see "copies" of MF paper work which
>has been given to the purchaser, even when (what appears to be) "real" MF
>ferrets are bought.  When checking with PETCO, we are told that sometimes
>the MF paperwork does NOT accompany the ferret shipments (lost, all sent
>to another PETCO or whatever) and so the stores are told to just make
>copies of previous certificates.

Nope.  I will pass this on to the DM Jim B.  I am sure he will want to
know who has told you this and take care of it himself.  All the paperwork
has accompanied the shipments I have seen at Petco and no manager has EVER
stated otherwise.  I really wonder why the store managers would tell me
one thing, and you something different.  I am in constant contact with
them, are you?

>In order to try to obtain that information, I did send MF an e-mail with
>some of the information and sort of expected that they'd ask for photos of
>the ferrets (ears) or some additional information, but (my only source of
>agreement with Danielle) I did not hear back from them, so my assumption
>has to be that they either already have the information, or that we're to
>far away for them to bother doing anything about it.

Gosh, imagine that!  They did not respond, how unusual <sigh>.  That is
nice of you to give them the benefit of the doubt.  I am surprised that
you would not get upset over being ignored.  I will also bring this to
their attention, since they promise to respond within 24 hours.  Another
example of bad customer service.  Thank you for sharing.

As far as the Totally Ferret newsletter, I don't see ANYWHERE in it where
it states a name of another competitor's company.  Now, Dr. Williard is
within his rights to give his opinion on why he feels his food is better
than other foods (all product companies do this).  Nothing wrong with
this and he sites why he feels his food is better.  I would feel much
differently if he made a blatant statement such as "MF food is bad" with
nothing to back it up.  Do you see the difference?  MF bashed Totally
Ferret food to me, with nothing to back it up.  In my opinion, that is
bad business.

I have about 20 emails to answer and more and more people are coming
forward to offer help with the MF stuff.  Thank goodness for the FML!

TTFN